Sunday, October 21, 2012

The Unclipped Classroom Linky

When I make decisions about my classroom, whether academically or behaviorally, I try to keep in mind how I as an adult would feel if those decisions were made for me.  Having said that, I'm not a fan of keeping public records of children's behavior.  The last time I was a student myself was almost 10 years ago during my Masters, but as an adult I wouldn't have been okay with my professors publicly keeping track of class conduct.  I would have been one of those students who never had a problem, but regardless, it wouldn't have felt right.  I guess I feel the same way for kids.  For me as the teacher, it doesn't feel right.  

I was kind of surprised to read Nikki's post from Teaching in Progress recently, because I assumed I was the only one who felt like I do.  She expressed the same concerns, but she said it so eloquently.  (Read it here.)  Now she's created a linky with alternatives to behavior charts, and she invited me to link up.  I'm all over it.  

If you'd like to see how I handle behavior without a chart on the wall, read this.  It has something to do with this picture.



Thanks to Nikki for being bold enough to share her thoughts and create a linky with helpful alternatives.  Go check it out!



Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. Great idea on the behavior!

    We have booed you, come on over and link up!
    :-)
    http://teachinglittlemiracles.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read her article, it was great! I think the kids have a tendency to blame everything and anything on those kids who have trouble following the expectations.

    Kelly @ I'm Not Your Grandpa, I'm Your Teacher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly, you're probably right. The kids know who has the most problems whether there's something on the wall or not, but I think everyone's better off when it's not so public.

      Delete
  3. I love how you keep your notes on student behavior. Very easy and private. :)
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lori. Privacy isn't always easy but it's a goal of mine.

      Delete