Monday, October 15, 2012

Math Intentionality (Freebie)

I've found that it's so easy to get stuck asking my mathematicians to think about the same kinds of contextual problems, even when I know there are several other types.  I get stuck in a rut, and as a result, my kids do too and it's not even their fault.  I want to make myself more accountable to the other problem types, so I created this checklist.  The document includes the 14 problem types and very simple examples of each.  My goal isn't simply to get a checkmark in each column but to be more intentional.  I hope this helps someone else be more intentional as well.  Click on the picture for your own copy.





Pin It!

12 comments:

  1. Great list of examples! Could have used this for planning (and you know I am a planner) when I taught math! Thanks!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, as you know it's sometimes hard to keep track of all the good things that we're supposed to be doing, so I sure do hope this helps.

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing this! This is something I have definitely been needing...without even knowing it! =) Sometimes, having a "menu" handy is nice.

    Thanks again!
    Sarah
    First Class First Grade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, I'm glad you think this will be helpful. I sure hope it helps me out too. Thanks for coming by.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the freebie, Tammy! Here I am trying to get the Daily 5 going and now you are getting me to thinking more about math too. I must say teaching blogs has made me a better teacher!!!

    Crystal
    Teaching Little Miracles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal, I hear ya. There's hardly a moment of thinking, "I've got it all figured out." Thanks so much for dropping by!

      Delete
  4. This is wonderful! I have been trying to get my teachers to be more conscious of the types of problems they are having their students solve. This is a great resource to help with planning word problems. Thank you!

    Jana
    Thinking Out Loud

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jana, great! I'm glad this will help. Thanks for coming by.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for this document. Intentional is the key word! This will help me get there ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, you're very welcome. I'm hoping this document helps me get there too!

      Delete
  6. People like you make teaching a lot easier! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete