Monday, October 22, 2012

Did You Plan?

During writing workshop, I've seen a lack of planning of late.  Sometimes it results in a story that has no focus.  It's a story that's not zoomed in on the details of one small moment.  Instead it's about several moments and all of them lack any depth.  I recently created this chart in front of my writers as a tool for how to be better planners.



I also turned it into small table charts for my groups.  Click on the picture for your own copy.



Earlier this fall I posted about I'm making smaller table charts from large charts as a way to help make my teaching stick.  Look here if you're interested in seeing how I use and display them.  You can also get yourself a copy of the first one I created.  

Here's to better planners!

Pin It!

10 comments:

  1. Love your anchor chart! Great mini-lesson, too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mrs. S. I appreciate hearing from you.

      Delete
  2. Great planning sheet! Writing planning definitely needs to be thought through and planned out. Come teach writing at my school, please!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, I was thinking you needed to come teach at my school!

      Delete
  3. Hi Tammy
    I'm your newest follower, having just found your blog. I've Boo-ed you, too. You can read all about it in my blog: http://itsabouttimeteachers.blogspot.com/2012/10/word-work-reading-recovery-way-pt-7.html
    I hope you'll want to participate in this fun linky party.

    Barb
    itsabouttimeteachers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Barb. Thanks for joining me here. Thanks for the Boo!

      Delete
  4. I feel like teaching writing is one of my weak points, It doesn't seem like I've had much training in it. I like the looks of this chart. Thanks! I plan on doing more writing and editing with the kids during the 2nd qtr.

    Kelly @ I'm Not Your Grandpa, I'm Your Teacher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly, I'd say you're not alone. Writing seems to be the area that most teachers would admit they have the least amount of training in. There are some great resources out there from Regie Routman, Lucy Calkins, Donald Graves, etc. that have helped me along the way.

      Delete
  5. I love that set of steps. I have a planning poster, but this one is much more at a kid level. Thanks for sharing!
    Erin
    First with Franklin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erin, you're welcome. I'm reading a book called "Smarter Charts" that's helping me keep my charts more simple.

      Delete