Saturday, October 6, 2012

Saturday Sayings: Reading on Your Head

(click above for other Saturday Sayings)


I secretly nabbed this shot a few weeks ago.  I wasn't sure what I was going to do with it.  All I knew is that it was priceless.  When I came across the above quote while looking for a good Saturday Sayings for the day, I knew I had the perfect picture to use.

There are certainly lots of ways to promote choice for readers.  Location is just one of the many.  During Read to Self, my readers get to choose where they sit.  As long as they're not close to anyone and their spot allows them to be the best reader they can be, they can sit on desks, under desks, under tables, in corners, sprawled out on the carpet, and obviously even on their heads.  As an adult reader, I'm the same way.  I might not read on my head, but making my own choices about reading motivates me.  Kids are no different.  

"Purpose + choice = motivation."  Gail Boushey and Joan Moser, The Daily 5 21.
Pin It!

16 comments:

  1. Too cute Tammy! and oh so true! Thanks for sharing.
    Tammy
    First Grade @ Storybook Cafe
    dtklinger@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tammy for coming by and enjoying my picture and thoughts too.

      Delete
  2. Love the picture+the quote=thanks for sharing!
    Jenny
    http://owlthingsfirst.blogspot.com/2012/10/giveaways-and-gold-day.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny, you dropping by + your clever comment = happy me. :)

      Delete
  3. Awesome picture and great post! It's amazing how just saying "read anywhere in the room" feels like setting them free, even with my big kids. Don't tell anyone, but I've even risked telling them they have 20 minutes to go write anywhere on school grounds (with the usual warnings).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laur, I promise I won't tell. You're the coolest teacher!

      Delete
  4. I love that my kids have the opportunity to make choices about reading with Daily 5. Many of the kids in my class have chaotic/out of control lives that I love that they have some control over what the read and write and where.
    Thanks for sharing that photo!
    Chrissy
    First Grade Found Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chrissy, you make a good point. For many of these kids, there are few things they have control over. It's nice that we can give them lots of choices when it comes to their learning.

      Delete
  5. Great photo! The power of choice is so motivating for students and adults as well. Who wants to sit at a table/desk all day?
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, yeah not me and I know my kids don't either. Thanks for always coming by so faithfully.

      Delete
  6. Reading on Your Head....could be the title for a new Mo Willems books:-) My action research paper was all about choice and how it ties into reading motivation. Great quote.

    Laurie
    Chickadee Jubilee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurie, Mo needs to get on this right away! :) That must have been a great paper you wrote.

      Delete
  7. love this. thanks for sharing and reminding us about the power of choice.

    Kelli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelli, you're very welcome. I'm glad you came by.

      Delete