Saturday, October 13, 2012

Saturday Sayings: The Keeper of Math Strategies?

(Click above for other Saturday Sayings.)



I am in love with a better way of teaching math.  The ultimate goal is no longer the end product, but it's how a child arrives there that's most important.  I don't mean to dismiss the answer, right or wrong, but focusing on the strategy is so much more powerful.  I am not the keeper of all math strategies, passing them out when some random math expert from a teaching manual says it's time.  Instead, I am in charge of cultivating an environment where the students are inventing the strategies and teaching them to each other.  My goal is to present the right problems, ask the right questions, and nudge them to think strategically to find their own solutions.  I've gotten into the habit of frequently asking, "Is that the only way?"  The automatic answer is a resounding, "No!"  We don't celebrate answers.  We celebrate the many ways that they are given the freedom to invent.  

(Read here if you're interested in reading about how I promote strategic thinking in my room.)

In honor of my blog's one year anniversary, find out here what I could make for you if you're a follower and comment on any of my posts this week.  Today is the last of my posts for the week.  I look forward to hearing from you.

Pin It!

10 comments:

  1. I really like this way of thinking (great quote!). Teaching students to think and develop strategies to help themselves is great! I could have used this when I was learning math in school. :)
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, I could have used this too. As a student and adult, I follow math rules but don't always know what I'm doing. That's not good.

      Delete
  2. Routman is very wise. I try to keep those ideas in mind when teaching math, also. It's hard sometimes :)

    ❀Barbara❀
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, there's so much wisdom out there. The trick is putting it all to use on a daily basis. I hear ya that it's not always easy.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the kind words on my blog. I've just posted up some information on the source of my idea. Check out this teacher's great ART teaching blog by coming back to savvyteachingtips and reading my post. I'm your latest follower now, and I really wanted to comment on this post. Here in British Columbia, we started a new math curriculum called MATH Makes Sense. It is heavy on new vocabulary, but the idea is to give the kids the tools to "Talk the Math", or explain how they got the answer as you put it. I LOVE this new way of teaching. I really enjoy teaching it, and the kids really like the fact that there is an emphasis on manipulatives, and a decrease in worksheets. I've taken a ton of pictures in the past year, of how I teach this, now I just need to get organized enough to actually post some of it up on my blog. I look forward to following your blog in the future.

    Sandra
    www.savvyteachingtips.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, thank you for the info on the art blog. I really enjoy following blogs that showcase art that I could possibly pull off in my own classroom! I'm looking forward to hearing more about the math that you're teaching. It really excites me to see others who are on the same path as I am. Get to posting. I'll be ready to read!

      Delete
  4. LOVE this saying. We switch all our kids for math. Three classes of 2nd and three classes of 3rd and then they are leveled. I teach the low 3rd grade math class and I love it. As a kid, I was horrible at math and struggled everyday when it came time for math. (I am still not adept at more difficult math) So I can more easily sympathize with my math group. This group often does not have the right answer...and has faith in their wrong answer. So we spend a lot of time talking out our math thoughts.

    Laurie
    Chickadee Jubilee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurie, I love that you talk about strategies even with the ones who struggle. How very smart of you to focus on that instead of just answers.

      Delete
  5. Oh I love it, you're exactly on the same page as me. So much fun to see it when kids 'get it'.

    Sandra
    www.savvyteachingtips.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, we're definitely on the same page. I thought the exact thing when I read your post today.

      Delete