Friday, October 12, 2012

Apples - Matisse Style

We've had some fun with apples lately.  Several years ago I made up this life cycle activity.  It's nothing fancy, but it's effective.  The kids draw, color, and label the life cycle and then wear it upon their heads as it goes around and around as life cycles do.






We've been singing a lot about apples too.  I didn't make up this song, but I wish I knew who did.  I found it on the internet years ago.  Maybe Dr. Jean?  Click on the words for your own copy.
This next thing is a new one for me, and I get no credit whatsoever.  I found it on a great art blog called Fine Lines that you should definitely visit.  I was very pleased with how the kids did, and they walked away with a bit of knowledge about Matisse, Cezanne, Renoir, still life, wet on wet, shadowing, and outlining...and so did I! 
(I must thank my beautiful niece Britt for giving me some artistic tips!)




And finally, I leave you with a few of the hazards of being a first grade teacher.  This is what happens when you run out of red paint and have to borrow the powdery stuff from next door.  Ugh.


In honor of my blog's one year anniversary, find out here what I could make for you if you're a follower and comment on any of my posts this week.  I look forward to hearing from you.

Pin It!

22 comments:

  1. Beautiful apple paintings!! Such a talented group of little students being taught by a talented teacher!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, I think Matisse would be proud. At least that's what I told the kids. :)

      Delete
  2. I love your life-cycle headband. I'm going to do that with pumpkins!
    Thanks for sharing, Tammy!

    ❀Barbara❀
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, it's definitely one of those ideas that could be modified for other content areas. Go for it!

      Delete
  3. And it never fails that you end up wearing white on the day you use red powder paint...But the pictures look great!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, I know! Bad timing with the white shirt and the red powder. Paige said she could get it out for me. :)

      Delete
  4. So fun to see your kids' apple art -- thanks for sharing!! Seeing those headbands makes part of me want to go back to teaching first grade:))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christie, thank you for doing such great art projects and sharing them with the rest of us. I kinda sorta pulled it off.

      Delete
  5. I love the paintings! I think you have a few artists in the making!

    Kelly @ I'm Not Your Grandpa, I'm Your Teacher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly, I think so too. They enjoyed being like Matisse!

      Delete
  6. Hi Tammy,
    Send me your email address to rebasutton@gmail.com and I'll get you your freebie Halloween packet! xo
    Rebecca
    Teaching First

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your students did a fantastic job with the Matisse-inspired apples. Thanks for the hat, blog and song ideas. The hat is a great center idea for any science concept that is cyclical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, thank you. I enjoyed watching their apple art come together. I'm glad you found these ideas helpful.

      Delete
  8. Happy Anniversary! I love your apples! Tell you students that they are just beautiful! They are real artists!
    So nice to see your cute picture!
    Literacy Minute

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandi! I will pass on the compliment for sure. :)

      Delete
  9. The apple headband is a great way to visually show the life cycle of an apple! Your students did an excellent job with their Matisse inspired apples. I'm going to add all of these idea to my apple file. As always, thanks for sharing!!
    Connie Anderson:)
    www.welcometofirstgraderoom5.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Connie, I'm glad I was able to share some ideas that you could add to your collection. Thanks again for coming by!

      Delete
  10. I {heart} the Matisse apple paintings! I just found your blog today and am your newest follower:) I am off to poke around!

    Tammy
    The Resourceful Apple

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tammy! I'm glad that you found my apples and me. I hope you enjoyed poking around.

      Delete
  11. These apple paintings are beautiful! I may give this a try when I am teaching nutrition in the spring!
    Roze

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roze, I hope you do. I'd love to see pics. Thanks for coming by and admiring their paintings.

      Delete