Thursday, October 4, 2012

Alphabet Dress-Up Day

I have Ann from Mrs. Greene's Kindergarten Korner to thank for some of the fun we had this week.  Her brilliant idea of having an Alphabet Dress-Up Day inspired me to have my own.  (Click on her blog to read about how it played out in her room.)  

We used it as a way to celebrate the alphabet, since we just finished reviewing the letters and how to write them the first grade way with our handy dandy purple and green.  (Go here if you're interested in seeing what that's all about.)  I assigned each child a letter and sent home a note to parents.  I tried to make it very clear that I didn't want them to spend a penny on this project.  I wanted it to be fun and stress-free.  


The kids were thrilled about this for days and showed up with all kinds of smiles and pride over their unique outfits.  (It kind of put the rest of the school in a tizzy, thinking that they'd missed Halloween or something.)  Of course, I turned our special day into a classroom book.  Here are some pictures.




I think I've come across a new first grade tradition.  Thanks Ann!


Pin It!

14 comments:

  1. Such a cute idea! I bet the students love that book too!

    Sara :)
    Smiling In Second Grade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sara. The kids haven't seen the book yet. We have a few days off. I'm pretty sure you're right though. They'll love it.

      Delete
  2. Love these pictures! I can imagine how much fun your students had planning their outfit to go with their letter and then getting to wear it to school!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, they had lots of fun. Their little faces lit up with I told them about it. :)

      Delete
  3. Tammy - that is sooo cute! I love that idea and your kiddos are adorable. Thanks for sharing!!!
    Vicky
    Traditions, Laughter and Happily Ever After

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vicky. It was fun, and yep, they're pretty adorable.

      Delete
  4. So sweet! What a great idea! I love to see your pictures!
    Literacy Minute

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sandi. I hope your job is going well. :)

      Delete
  5. Hi Tammy!

    I love this idea! It seems like we never have a reason to "dress up" in first grade. The K classes were having Pajama day yesterdy for Miss or Mr. P (sorry K teachers, I don't know my letter people) and Kristi and I were jealous. :-)

    Crystal
    Teaching Little Miracles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Crystal. It's time for you and Kristi to have a little fun too. You K teachers will be jealous this time. :)

      Delete