Saturday, September 1, 2012

Saturday Sayings: A Pretty Little Box

(Click above for previous Saturday Sayings.)


Once again I've found this to be true.  It only took a few days into the school year to discover yet another piece of my daily curriculum that was putting my little learners into a pretty little box instead of setting them free to really show what they could do.  It isn't the first time, and it certainly won't be the last.  Here's a synopsis of my most resent epiphany.

For years I've launched writing workshop with a single sheet of writing paper that looks like this.


Within a few weeks I'd progress to booklets made of three pages but with more lines and less empty space for pictures.  Thanks to my teaching neighbor, Marie, I found out what happens when the first thing writers ever see is a booklet.  They write more.  Duh.  Part of me feels silly for never seeing this before.  There will always be a few who struggle whether there are two lines or three pages, but the rest will actually have the opportunity to show what they can really do.  How can they share their potential when they're put in a box with only two measly lines?  

Like I said, this isn't the first time I've limited my students, and I'm pretty sure it won't be the last.  For example, I've made some eye-opening discoveries about their math skills within the past few years.  (Read here if you're interested.)  Also, I'm sure as I become more familiar with the Common Core, there will be moments of thinking, "First graders can do that?"    If I remember what Debbie Miller says, I might just find out that they certainly can.

(Thanks to my teaching neighbor Marie for inspiring me.)


Pin It!

11 comments:

  1. It's important to be a teacher who "notices" these kinds of things and does something about it. YOU are one of those teachers, Tammy! Some teachers notice, but no nothing. Other teachers never notice and continue to do the same thing year after year. Thanks for being a great teacher!!
    Connie:)
    www.welcometofirstgraderoom5.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Connie, you've blessed me this morning with such thoughtful words. Thank you.

      Delete
  2. Wow! I need to think that why with teaching piano lessons. I think I'll be seeing what my students can really do this next week. Thanks for the thought.
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa, smart thinking to use this idea with your piano students. How cool! I didn't know you taught piano.

      Delete
    2. Yes, for years and years now. I really like it. I actually just started one of your new little first graders and several of her big brothers on Wednesday. CUTENESS!!! And Luke started on Thursday morning. I'm excited to see how he does.

      Delete
  3. Hi Tammy. My first year teaching I followed our new reading series curriculum writing lessons - big mistake. Talk about a box - every sentence seemed to start with I like... Ugh! I wasn't at all happy with it and jumped into Writing Workshop the next year. I give my students a writer's notebook at the beginning of the year - each page has the lines and a place at the top for pictures. It may be called a Primary Journal...anyway, this system has been so much better!

    Crystal
    Teaching Little Miracles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal, it sounds like you made a very wise move changing over to a Writing Workshop format. Noticing the limitations is what great teachers do.

      Delete
  4. You see something that needs addressing and you change it! Your students are blessed to have that self-reflection in their teacher and are better because of it! Thank you for sharing your journey of thoughts with us!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, thanks for reading about my journey and commenting along the way. I so appreciate all your thoughtful words.

      Delete
  5. We all do that, don't we? Thanks for the reminder to think outside the box:)
    Barbara
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barbara. Yep, I think we're all guilty of limiting our kids at times.

      Delete