Saturday, September 15, 2012

Saturday Sayings: The 90 Percent

(Click above for other Saturday Sayings.)


Lucy's quote here has intrigued and saddened me for years.  I could say it's even haunted me at times.  Obviously she's making a point that most of our kids show up to school as five-year olds thinking they're writers.  Somehow and somewhere along the way, not many years down the line most likely, they forget they ever thought such a thing.  It's the furthest thing from their minds in fact, and too many of our 90% become children whose belief in their writing is quite dismal.  Even many of us adults don't remember those early, numbered days of believing in our own writing abilities.  Wouldn't you agree with the following statement?

"It's interesting to me that many, many adults will define themselves as 'readers' but not as 'writers.'" Katie Wood Ray, The Writing Workshop: Working Through the Hard Parts 31

How does this happen?  I want to point my finger somewhere, and I don't know where to point it.  Is it the curriculum?  Is it a writing program that's at fault?  Are parents part of the problem?  Are we teachers to blame?  Maybe it's a combination of factors.  I do have my own hunches, but I'm going to keep them to myself (shocking, I know).  In any case, I don't want to point my finger just for the sake of pointing my finger.  I want to know the source of this sad dilemma.  I hope we can find out and fix it, because the 90% deserve better.





Pin It!

16 comments:

  1. I most certainly define myself as a reader, but am not as confident in my writing skills even though I love to teach writing. :)
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Part of the issue is, I think, that writing is mostly a private endeavor. So most adults do their reading at their own pace, for pleasure, without much concern for how well they read. Writing, on the other hand, is often done to be shared, and going public with writing always feels like an invitation for critique.

    Just my initial thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurie, I always enjoy your thoughts, whether initial or not.

      Delete
  3. We wrote for 25 minutes the other day. It was fantastic and kids come up with such imaginative stuff! In Portland, everyone believes they are writers. You can't go very far without seeing someone working on something.

    Laurie
    Chickadee Jubilee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurie, it's a wonderful thing when writing is non-negotiable in a district, town, school, and it's just what we do.

      Delete
  4. It occurs to me that reading is an intake activity and writing is an output activity. As such, reading is SAFER, right? I've found that when I tell kids that they're good writers, they want to write more. As I reflect, however, I'm not sure that any of my teachers ever told me I was a good writer . . . it wasn't until I started writing as a release for hard feelings that and subsequently shared them with friends that I was told - OUT LOUD - that I was a good writer. And then, the more I wrote, the more I wanted to write. Now, it's a therapeutic tool for me . . . but that's another story for another day. I just LOVE stopping by your blog and thinking through your Saturday Sayings!

    Barbara
    The Corner On Character

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, thank you for adding your thoughts. Teachers need to say these things out loud to their kids.

      Delete
  5. I agree with the intake/output philosophies stated by two other followers, but I also wonder if we (the teachers) put a negative spin on writing by always insisting on writing prompts and other topics about which students have no desire to write. I wonder if we included more journaling, less teacher-driven writing, if students wouldn't enjoy writing more and do it more frequently? I don't know. I'd love if you stopped by my blog! 11 more followers & I am hosting a 100 follower giveaway!
    SynonymRolls&AntonymMoments

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amber, I would definitely agree. There's something very powerful about giving writers choice.

      Delete
  6. I feel the same way about art- what 5 year old says they can't draw or paint or create? And yet, somehow, by the time they are in first or second grade they have formed these opinions of themselves that last for their lifetime.
    Julie
    Light A Fire in Third

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie, good point. We need to work on helping kids see themselves as writers, artist, readers, etc. because those opinions, like you said, can last for a lifetime.

      Delete
  7. I was going to say the same thing as the first poster, Laurie. There is no judgement with regards to reading. Tons of judgement with writing, since it is a reflection of the writer. Not many people feel confident in the public eye, including soooo many teachers I know!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurie, it's very true. We teachers, me included, aren't comfortable with our writing abilities. Thank you for commenting today.

      Delete
  8. That's why I'm totally switching to Lucy's writing program and philosophy about writing. I love how this first week I've been able to be totally accepting of EVERY kind of writing they've been giving me. I think that's what's needed. Acceptance and then kind gentle nudges in the right direction.

    ❀Barbara❀
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, Lucy is great, as are you. No doubt your kids feel like writers every day in your classroom.

      Delete