Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Our Civil Rights

I recently posted what it means to slow down to speed up.  (Look here if you'd like to know.)  For me, part of that slowing down process involves something I grabbed from a teacher friend of mine years ago called Our Civil Rights.  This is what I want my classroom to look like.


There are five, as you can see in the picture.  I spend a week, and sometimes more, on each one.  It takes time to do this part of the year right.  I've found that picture books are some of the best tools for teaching each civil right's meaning.  They tend to drive home the message fairly well.  Then throughout the year when problems arise, and they always do, our civil rights are on the wall, so they can easily be referred to.  If you'd like your own copy, click on the words below.


Pin It!

10 comments:

  1. This is great! Your students must feel so valued in your room. :)
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lori and of course, thanks for the pins too! (I always know I'll have at least one comment to look forward to.)

      Delete
  2. This is awesome! Great for a caring classroom. Do you have favorite picture books for each section?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan. I love Hooway for Wodney Wat, Stand Tall Molly Lou Melon, Pig in a Wig, It's Okay to be Different, The Colors of Us, The Crayon Box that Talked, Have you Filled a Bucket Today, The Recess Queen... Those are just a few of my all-time favorites.

      Delete
  3. Woo Hoo thanks Tammy perfect for Constitution day coming up, and relating it to the classroom.
    Tammy

    First Grade @ Storybook Cafe
    dtklinger@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tammy, I'm glad this will come in handy for you and your kiddos!

      Delete
  4. I love this! I used to use this poem or one very similar, when I began teaching. My mom, who was a teacher, shared with me. Thanks for sharing and helping me remember! It is a great Constitution for creating a caring classroom. I used to get my kids to all sign at the bottom. Thanks to your post I am going to pull out and do again. I just LOVE your blog..Thanks for all your sharing.
    Heather
    creatingbookworms.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather, I'm glad my post was a good reminder for you. Thank you for your sweet comments.

      Delete
  5. Man, this is a great idea! Thanks so much!

    Ѽ Lori
    Teaching With Love and Laughter
    luvyorkies@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete