Wednesday, March 7, 2012

They Amaze Me

We Idaho math teachers are very lucky.  Our state is making us take a math class, and it's probably the best thing that we've ever been forced to do.  I took it a few years ago.  I thought I was a decent math teacher.  Well, this class put me in my place.  I'm amazed now to see what my mathematicians are capable of.  I've still got a lot to learn, but I'm heading in the right direction.


For me, math journals and contextual problems that press student thinking are my favorite fruits of this class.  I ask my kids to do some heavy duty problem solving and to show it in as many ways as they can.  I started a wikispace as an educational tool for parents to see how kids are problem- solving on their own in meaningful ways.  I post the contextual problems and the kids' solutions on the wiki.  I'd love for you to see what they've been doing.  Look here to check it out.  It also explains my math journals in more detail.


Here are a few problems that we've recently worked on.  See if you can dissect their strategies.


Miss McMorrow's class started out with some stars from the lunch lady.  She gave them 10 more.  They ended up with 17 stars.  How many stars did they start with?





Miss McMorrow was lifting weights at the gym.  While working her calves, she used 45 pounds, 25 pounds, and 5 pounds.  How much weight did she lift altogether?




They amaze me!
Pin It!

17 comments:

  1. Wow! I am seriously impressed with your kiddos! Love your prompts!!

    Laura
    Peace, Love, and First Grade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura. I try to keep those math problems as much about them as possible.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Melanie. They are pretty cool mathematicians.

      Delete
  3. This is awesome, and one reason why I love math!! Sooo many different ways to solve one problem.

    Amy
    The Crazy Adventures of a University Graduate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, thanks for coming by. I love all the different strategies too.

      Delete
  4. This is amazing!! These kids are learning higher level thinking and problem solving that will carry them far in life! Come teach in my school please!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lori. I never enjoyed contextual problems as a student. I'm so glad my kids have no fear when it comes to solving problems like this. (I'm not sure my 24 kids will let me leave. You might just have to come teach in my school instead.) :)

      Delete
  5. Thank you Jennifer for dropping by and leaving a comment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! They are such smarty pants!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks friend. Yep, they are smarty pants.

      Delete
  7. I love how you post it on your wikispace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie. Hopefully it helps the parents understand what math is all about.

      Delete
  8. Your samples are GREAT! By the way...Thanks so much for the lovely blogger award!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Jill. Thanks for coming by!

      Delete
  9. I just found your blog, and I am your newest follower! My husband is from Coeur d'Alene, Idaho!!!

    Michelle

    Apples and ABC's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle, thanks for coming by! I love that you found me.

      Delete