Saturday, September 29, 2012

Saturday Sayings: Focus

(Click above for more Saturday Sayings.)


This one can be difficult to pull off.  When it comes to writing, it's easy to look at a piece and see all the things the writer is not doing.  What they are doing can be covered up by everything else.  

One of my little writers was more than reluctant when we first started writing workshop.  Defiant would be a more appropriate word actually.  He's come around and stays very busy during writing workshop.  When I look at his pieces, I don't see any thought put into the letters he's writing.  The random letters are a problem, and I'm nudging him to show me what he can really do, but more than anything I'm celebrating what he is doing.  He's opening up his writing folder.  That's a big step for him.

Another one of my writers has an incredibly difficult time staying on-task during writing workshop.  She's lucky to accomplish anything and so are her neighbors who she enjoys distracting.  As a result, she and I had the opportunity to spend a few lunch times working together this week.  It allowed me to see what she's capable of.  She can mostly hear the beginning and ending sounds in words, which unfortunately seems lightyears away from where I'd like her to be right now.  The last few days she's been able to mostly hold it together during writing workshop.  I was able to celebrate the fact that mostly on her own she heard some sounds in words.  A few letters on the page might not mean much to anyone else, but to me it spells success for this little one.

It takes effort and a little patience to sort through all the things we wish they were doing in order to see what's actually going well.  It's worth it, both for them and for us.

Pin It!

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for reminding us to take each child individually and celebrate the success they are experiencing. Sometimes we wish they were so much farther ahead than where they are but we have to remember it sometimes takes small steps to get there!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, celebrating success when there's still so far to go isn't easy, huh? I needed this reminder as much as anyone else. Lucy is so smart.

      Delete
  2. I love Saturday Sayings. They give me so much to think about. Question for you. My writing instruction needs help. I don't quite want to overhaul it this year but would like to add in new things. Do you recommend a specific book to get me started in the right direction?
    Ms. Kerri and her Krazy Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kerri, it truly blesses me that you love Saturday Sayings. It makes it all worth while to hear comments like that. Eventually you might want to look at Lucy Calkins K-2 Units of Study but that would definitely require an overhaul. Keep it in mind though. One of my favorites is "Writing Essentials" by Regie Routman. It was a perfect book for me years ago when I started shifting my writing towards a writing workshop set-up. I bet you could find a cheap, used copy on ebay or Amazon. The fact that you want to become a better writing teacher is a big step in the right direction. That's where it all starts. You'll get there!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Tammy. I'm going to look for that book now on Amazon.

      Delete
  3. Hi Tammy! Great reminder to focus on the positive when looking at my kiddo's writing. I have a few like you're describing...those random letters can seem like lack of effort at first but many just need a little help applying those sounds they are learning to spell. :-)

    Crystal
    Teaching Little Miracles

    P.S. Thanks for stopping by and commenting on the laptop fiasco. By Friday 90% of the kids were pros! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal, thanks for coming by. I love it when they start using those sounds just like you said. That's usually when I breathe a big sigh of relief. Glad to hear the laptops are going well now!

      Delete
  4. Hi! I tried to leave a comment yesterday, but my ipad wasn't cooperating. I'm back!

    This past week, I've had to remind myself to stop comparing this class with last year's group.
    I can see growth in many areas, but fine motor skills are not coming along as quickly as I'd like... do you have any suggestions? My kinders are holding the pencil correctly--for the most part! We use playdo, Legos, pipe cleaners, and manipulatives to practice fine-motor skills. Some of the children are frustrated with writing. :-(

    Your Saturday Sayings always inspire me (thus, Sunday Songs!). Have a great week!
    ReadWriteSing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chrissy, thanks for coming back a second time. :) By the time kids get to me, I don't have to worry so much about fine motor skills. It sounds like you're doing the right kinds of hands-on things. Here are a few more ideas from Lori at Conversations in Literacy: http://conversationsinliteracy.blogspot.com/search/label/Fine%20Motor%20Development

      I'm not sure I have any great ideas. My kids write with pens during writing workshop. Sometimes the right tool can make those kinds of frustrations that get into the way of writing seem less important. It's a great question though for teachers like yourself who are teaching the youngest kids. We'd hate for those kinds of frustrations to get in the way of teaching them to love writing. It might be something worth posting about. Sorry I wasn't more help on this one.

      Delete
  5. I've been following Lucy's year round writing program very carefully this year and I love how it keeps reminding me to see what the kids can do. I'm a lot more relaxed about that these days. As long as I see them trying and see some growth "it's all good" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, isn't Lucy wonderful? She does a very nice job of reminding us what being writing teachers is all about.

      Delete