Saturday, September 22, 2012

Saturday Sayings: Cherished Bits of Life

(Click above for more Saturday Sayings.)


As I think about teaching writing in my classroom, my own writing experiences rarely stray far from my thoughts.  As an adult writer, I've never been fond of writing about someone else's topic.  In fact, I'm really quite bad at it.  In most cases, my writing juices simply dry up, and I'm lucky if my pencil squeezes out a complete sentence.  True story.  Even though I'm 35 years older than my students, we're really not all that different in some ways.  (Yeah, that's hard to admit.)  I think they might be more adaptable than I am, and most of them can grow accustomed to writing about supplied topics when that's what they're consistently fed, but I don't believe they learn where writing actually originates.  They don't learn that it comes from their "own cherished bits of life" instead of an outside source.  Their very own lives are worthy of sharing.  If they write more about others' topics than their own, I'm afraid they won't make that discovery.

"When we help children know that their lives do matter, we are teaching writing."  Lucy Calkins, The Art of Teaching Writing 16.

"Often our first goal is to fill these youngsters with a sense of 'I've got so much to say' and 'My life is full of possible stories.'" Lucy Calkins, The Art of Teaching Writing 27.

When I watch them choose their own topics and lives as the subject of their writing day after day, I can't help but think that they feel very much in control and empowered.  Isn't that part of what writing is all about?

Pin It!

11 comments:

  1. Excellent quote by Lucy Calkins (I've got so much to say)!! Students have plenty to say from their own lives and just need some coaching on how to get it out. No writing prompts needed. :)
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, nope no writing prompts needed. I agree 100%. Kids have so much to say.

      Delete
  2. Amen! My favorite part is learning about who they are a little people. Writing connectsus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, that's very true. Writing prompts wouldn't allow that to happen as easily.

      Delete
  3. As little people...writing connects us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with you on this one, Tammy!!
    Connie Anderson:)
    www.welcometofirstgraderoom5.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Connie. I'm sure your kids feel empowered as writers as well.

      Delete
  5. Lucy is always right (write)! We miss so much when we prompt them and do cookie-cutter writing! Great post!
    Literacy Minute

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandi, yes she is. She and Regie have it goin' on. Thanks for reading Sandi!

      Delete
  6. I couldn't agree more! It's funny because I was thinking about this exact thing just before I saw your post. I'd been wandering through TpT and noticing all the story starter packs and as cute as they are it just made me shake my head.

    Barbara
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, I love your comment. I've done some shaking of my head too about such things.

      Delete