Saturday, September 8, 2012

Saturday Sayings: Not on the Table

(More Saturday Sayings are a click away.)


From the moment my kids show up on the first day of school, everything about the way I run my classroom, from my actions to my words, simply assumes that they're all experts in smartness and will love it here.  You're readers.  You're writers.  You're mathematicians.  Did you know that Mr. Graves only sends me the best kids in the whole school?  This is what I preach before I even know them well enough to memorize their names.  Thankfully, they believe me.  The power of persuasion is a wonderful tool in first grade.

Three days ago though, I came across a non-believer and honestly, it brought me to tears.  There's a whole sad behind- the-scenes story that I obviously can't share, but basically after only two days in my classroom (having missed a week of building confidence, routines, and stamina) I heard this student angrily talk about their hate of reading, books, writing, school, and themselves.  I found myself thinking, "Wait a minute.  This kind of talk isn't even an option in my class."  As Donalyn says, it's "not on the table."  How does a six-year old even come to the point of thinking such things?  How do they know that a complete and all-out refusal to try is a choice a person can even make? I know there's a lot in this little person's life that I can't control, but I pray that what I can do is prove them wrong.  The road of life ahead is going to be a long one if I can't.

"Believing they can read is the first step towards children's reading success."  Regie Routman, Invitations 29


Pin It!

12 comments:

  1. Your beautiful soul will win thist person over...and your model of how much you love reading, writing, school, and him....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marie. I sure do pray that you're right.

      Delete
  2. What a powerful post this morning, Tammy! It is so sad what some children go through that can bring them such negative feelings about themselves and the world around them. This little one will be mightily blessed for having been in your classroom. You will be a positive in their life!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, I appreciate your encouragement. I so want my classroom to be a safe and positive place for this little person.

      Delete
  3. I had a non-believer in my room for a couple days! Since I outlawed the word "can't" he seems to have disappeared! I love your Saturday sayings!
    Jenny
    Owl Things First

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer, I'm so glad to hear about your success story. We have outlawed certain words in my room too. We call them ugly words. I hope my little one catches on like yours.

      Delete
  4. Love your philosophy! It's amazing the baggage some little ones carry.

    ❀Barbara❀
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, amazing is right and they're only 6. Thank you for reading. I always enjoy knowing you came by.

      Delete
  5. I LOVE that . . . . "not on my watch!" . . . mantra!!! Our new principal says things like, "they've only been alive for six years!" when she's talking to us about kids and behaviors. You're right, too, about the long road ahead if they're already engaging in stinkin' thinkin'.... powerful stuff!!

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Barbara for coming by and leaving your thoughts. I always love hearing from you.

      Delete
  6. If anyone can do it, you can Tammy! This story brought tears to my eyes... but that little first grader is in good hands this year and I can't wait to hear how the story ends. Prayers for you and this little kiddo.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa for your prayers and encouragement, and thank you for being a parent who gives their kids all the tools they need to succeed.

      Delete