Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Stickiness


This book has been out since 2007, so maybe you've all read it and I'm late to the party.  Unknowingly, I'd seen its influence on blogs and pinterest for a few years and didn't know where the great ideas originated until reading the book this summer. Here are a few things that look like they could have been inspired by Tanny McGregor's book.  (Click on the pictures to see the original posts.)





Using real, familiar, and concrete objects to introduce a new concept is what this book is all about, specifically in relation to comprehension.  The author talks about how the concrete object creates a link or a bridge for learners.  She shares the objects (like a shoe, a shell, a salad, etc.) and the lessons that she teaches for each of the main categories of comprehension.  I know from my own experience as a learner that those lessons built around a concrete object have a special stickiness to them.  As a teacher, I don't take advantage of that stickiness enough.  I think this book will help me do a better job of that.



Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. This could have been a Saturday Saying! I know you're right...a concrete object always helps me retain things more. I think I need to get my hands on that book!

    Crystal
    Teaching Little Miracles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal, concrete objects are so great and yet for some reason I don't use them like I should. Yes, get your hands on this one.

      Delete
  2. I am just getting started on this book. I think it is going to be a great one with good ideas to use in class!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of it by the end.

      Delete