Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Sound It Out Schmound It Out


Kimberley from First in Maine is sharing her thoughts on a great book, Catching Readers Before They Fall.  Click on the graphic above to visit her.  I'm adding my reflections as well.  Here goes. 


Chapter 4: Beyond "Sound It Out"
What I loved...
This chapter took me back about 18 years ago to my Reading Recovery training when I learned about MSV, cues, prompts, and basically how to teach reading.  Why I didn't learn all that in college is still a mystery.  The tried and true strategy coming out of those four years was "sound it out."  What a shame.  I'm so relieved that it was only two years into my career that Reading Recovery enlightened me.  


How I connect this learning to my teaching...
One of my goals as a teacher of reading is to educate parents.  Like me coming out of college, their only strategy is "sound it out."  I don't expect them to sound like me, but I try to expand their view of how to effectively support their reader by providing them some prompts similar to what the kids would hear me say, and "sound it out" is not on that list.


Chapter 5:  A Comprehensive Literacy Framework
What I loved...
This chapter reminded me of Reading Recovery as well, when I learned what needed to take place throughout the school day in order to effectively support the readers and writers in my room.  

How I connect this learning to my teaching...
A comprehensive literacy framework has kept me stable over the past several years when trends, bandwagons, and mandates have come and gone.  The basic components of my daily routine have never wavered.  Shared reading, independent reading, writing workshop, etc. are permanent parts of the family.

Chapter 6:  Interactive Read-Aloud 
What I loved...
"An effective interactive read-aloud has children talking before, during, and after reading."  

How I connect this learning to my teaching...
Admittedly, my read-alouds aren't as effective as they could be.  I like my kids to interact with one another, but it's not as purposeful or as often as the quote says it should be.  I sure need to work on that!

Thanks again Kimberley for inviting me to share my thoughts about a great book on a great blog.



Pin It!

11 comments:

  1. I think we must have all gotten that "sound it out" strategy. :) I am so thankful that better strategies are being taught now!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, yep "sound it out" is not my mantra. I will say, "Get your mouth ready and slide to the end" but that's just one of many things that I say.

      Delete
  2. Hi Tammy. "Sound it out," was definitely in my vocabulary before I became a teacher. And most parents still use that terminology...it is something that has just been passed down, I think. Glad we as teachers can keep learning and growing!

    Crystal
    Teaching Little Miracles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal, always learning and growing and discovering better ways of reaching our learners, huh? :)

      Delete
  3. Tammy I am reading this book right now on my Kindle and I am loving it so much that I want to by a copy to have!! I LOVE Pat Johnson(I hope I am getting her name right). I think every primary teacher should be required to read this book and her first book. I think her no nonsense thinking is important for teachers to know!!! I am loving and learning so much from this book...I do plan to buy that math book on Amazon this week (I bookmarked it) I will let you know what I think! Melissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa, I agree that it's a very worthwhile read. Please do let me know what you think of the math book!

      Delete
  4. I should have put buy for by a copy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think educating parents is really important as well. I've have several first-time parents who have asked for strategies to help them read at home--which of course, I love! :)

    NotJustChild'sPlay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss Trayers, yep, the more they know, the better off their little readers will be.

      Delete
  6. I don't think it's any surprise that you are reminded of Reading Recovery when you read this as Pat Johnson is a huge proponent of Reading Recovery. It works for a variety of reasons. I love how you had aha moments about your own teaching and what you need to be more purposeful about in the classroom. I, too, am seeing myself more clearly while I read this book.

    Kimberley
    First in Maine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kimberley, I can definitely hear the Reading Recovery influences in this book. I love it.

      Delete