I had the same classroom helper chart for years. It was in such bad shape that I didn't use it last year or even replace it. Now, all is well.
First I spray painted a cookie sheet. FYI - cookie sheets don't like to be spray painted or maybe I just don't know how to do it right. I added a clear coat finish, and the black paint still liked to scrape off way too easily. After adding all my words and washi tape, I Mod Podged the whole thing. I think that's fixed the problem.
I made the magnets with the beads from a bracelet.
The plan is to use the magnets to hold either names or pictures of the kids who will be in charge of helping me out.
Thanks again Tara for the linky opportunity!