Saturday, July 27, 2013

Saturday Sayings: The Norm



When I read this quotation, it immediately takes me back to intimate moments I've spent with children's writing folders.  (My writers typically produce vast amounts of writing, most of which I don't see unless I look at it outside of the school day.)  I can picture myself with a folder belonging to one of my best writers, reading piece after piece and feeling pretty good about their progress.  In the midst of the treasures though, is that one piece resembling something they probably could have written in kindergarten.  I'm left thinking, "Seriously?!"  Carol Avery reminds me to give the kid a break.  Whether the writer is advanced or emerging, young or old, variation in the quality of writing is to be expected.  

Sometimes the best clues for how to treat young writers come from the ways we adult writers want to be treated.  I took a writing class this summer.  I gave myself a break on a daily basis.  Not everything I wrote turned out to be a work of art.  In fact, there were moments of thinking, "Seriously?!"  It's just the way writing works though.  If I'm not surprised that the level of my writing seems to vary from day to day, then neither should I be surprised when the same thing happens with my young writers.  They're just being normal.


Pin It!

16 comments:

  1. You always give me a reason to pause and reflect.
    Great advice today. Especially as we get ready for a new bundle of first graders!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie, yep I'm sure our new bundles will need us to remember this. :)

      Delete
  2. Excellent! I like the word variance ... and the permission to take a break ... and come back later. It goes perfectly with last week's quote about movement!!

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, I like the connections that you make. Thank you again for adding to the conversation.

      Delete
  3. Just found your blog and I'm now your newest follower! Check mine out if you get the chance. :)

    Colleen Patton
    Mrs. Patton’s Patch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colleen, thank you for coming by. I do appreciate it!

      Delete
  4. I read Carol Avery's book many years ago and really learned a lot. Thanks for reminding me that variance in writing is normal.
    Connie Anderson:)
    Welcome To First Grade Room 5

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Connie, I believe hers was one of the first professional books that I read outside of college. She got me started off on a good foot.

      Delete
  5. Yes, yes, yes! I'm right there with those little writers as I plod along writing this devotional book I'm working on. Some days...it seems great...other days...it seems nothing I write makes any sense. Well said, Tammy!

    Crystal
    Teaching Little Miracles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal, ah yes, you know exactly what I'm talking about. You'll have great wisdom to share with your little writers.

      Delete
  6. Excellent reminder, Tammy!
    I wonder why I sometimes expect so much more from my little students than I do from myself?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb, that's an excellent question to ask! I do the same.

      Delete
  7. Thank you for the reminder! I sometimes forget that they won't turn out masterpieces every day and that it is okay!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, I forget too. I'm sure most of us need to be reminded that it doesn't work that way.

      Delete
  8. Yes, this reminder is very much appreciated!
    I remember many times being disappointed...but
    yes, I recall many times I feel the same way as a writer.
    It's okay!

    Your Saturday Sayings are always my favorite. :)

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, yep it's okay and thank you for the sweet comment about my Saturday thoughts.

      Delete