Saturday, July 20, 2013

Saturday Sayings: Movement to Memory




I am the poster child for this thought.  The way I play the board game Rapid Recall is proof.  The game forces the player to cram as many words into their short-term memory as possible.  My natural instinct is to attach a movement to each word.  My foot taps the floor for "carpet" while I hold my wrist for "bracelet."  My ring finger wiggles in the air for "wedding ring," my eyes blink for "contact lenses," and my lips quiver for "Elvis" etc.  With all my moving parts I'm quite a sight.  When it's finally time to wrench all the words out of my memory, they actually come without too much trouble simply because movement cements memory.

In the classroom, I've seen how attaching movement to memory works wonders.  Every letter of the alphabet has a motion.  Certain tricky words that we spell do as well, like you'll see in a video here.  My goal is to be increasingly mindful of more ways to incorporate movement with new concepts, no matter the subject area.  How can movement improve science, math, social studies, character development, reading, writing, and so on?  I know all the little memories in my room will be better off for it.



I now invite you to head on over to Barb at Grade ONEderful.  She's got a Saturday Sayings of her own to share this morning.  No doubt it's going to be worth a visit!

Grade ONEderful


Pin It!

20 comments:

  1. I have found that attaching movement really helps my struggling readers too. All the little "tricks and clues" we can give them helps so much! Thanks for the reminder about this!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, I'd like to know about the movements you use with your readers!

      Delete
  2. Moving, singing, eating...They all help learning stick! Great reminder!
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny, making our teaching stickier is definitely the way to go.

      Delete
  3. Great thought for today! At the NCTM conference I attended they showed us how to skip count with motions along with adding/subtracting vertically and horizontally with motions! Loved that idea and will be adding it into my classroom this year. I do believe motions help kiddos make meaning and memory of the concept.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh Ann, I'd love to go to the NCTM conference. Sigh. Anyway, I'd love to know more about those motions.

      Delete
    2. I've got a blog post coming up Tuesday with my reflections from NCTM!! Be on the lookout for it!

      Delete
    3. I for sure will be. I'm looking forward to it!

      Delete
  4. SO much to be said for muscle memory ... something I never even knew about until my daughter started to take pitching lessons. Combine those muscle memories with thoughts and concepts and you've got some strong connections. So wise, my friend!

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, it is amazing how much our muscles can help us learn. The goal is to get them involved more often.

      Delete
  5. GREAT video, Tammy! I need to do way more of this. I didn't realize combining spelling with movement could be as simple as you demonstrated in the video. Thank you.
    BTW, it was cool to hear your voice :))

    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb, I need to do way more of it too. (Glad you enjoyed hearing my 12-year old sounding voice.) :)

      Delete
  6. Tammy! Seriously...you have to record a day in your room and send it to me. That video was great! I've been thinking about the movement...because I've been looking into WBT this summer. I'm not kidding though...I want to be a fly on the wall in your room!

    Crystal
    Teaching Little Miracles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal, you're all too sweet. Too bad Idaho isn't closer to home huh? Then we could visit each other's rooms. By the way, I like the movement that I've seen with WBT. I'd like to use more of that kind of thing in my room.

      Delete
  7. One of my favorite movement ideas is for math. I love the large number lines that you roll out on the floor. There is nothing like walking on the number line to get the feel of adding and subtracting.
    Sandi at Literacy Minute

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandi, I'm looking forward to doing more movement with math just like you're talking about. Thank you!

      Delete
  8. I also really agree with this. When we teach the sounds we use little hand movements, and for some kiddos it is exactly what they need to start putting those letters and sounds together. I also started using yoga in the classroom this year-had a chart with the letters. I had a student who couldn't name the "d", but could do the move for it-starting to make those connections.

    NotJustChild'sPlay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss Trayers, I use something called visual phonics. It sounds similar to what you're talking about. It creates such a great link for kids.

      Delete
  9. OK - now that you've posted this, I've just got to ask - what's the Batman song? Is it from the old 60s or 70s show?

    I use movement with our vocabulary words - each word has an action that goes with it. My ESL kids seem to do a better job of remembering the actions than I do!
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sara, yep that's the Batman song. Sounds like you're already seeing great benefits from movement with your kids.

      Delete