Saturday, July 13, 2013

Saturday Sayings: Practicing Mediocrity



I'm slightly embarrassed to admit that I'm mediocre at boiling eggs.  Every time I need hardboiled eggs, I google the directions, ask on Facebook, or text someone.  It's so simple.  Yet it's something my brain refuses to retain.  Even though it's a silly example, I understand mediocrity.  We all do in one way or another.  My young struggling readers do as well.  They might not know the word mediocrity or are able to verbalize their specific reading struggles, but surely they can tell that some classmates have a much easier time with words on a page than they do.  What would it feel like to go from one mediocre reading to another?  It must be a lot worse than going from one boiling egg moment to another, and because I'm so terrible at boiling eggs I try to avoid the act altogether.  We've all seen struggling readers do the same with books.

Rasinski talks a lot about repeated readings, and I believe in their power as well.  My struggling readers don't just need to reread, it's necessary.  Like the quotation says, their first readings are typically not good or at least not fluent.  When given the opportunity to reread, they actually begin to experience the benefits of what reading has to offer as far as strategy usage, word recognition, fluency, and comprehension, not to mention the fact that the process is much more enjoyable at that point as well.  I want to be certain that my readers experience all the benefits of reading instead of the disadvantages of practicing mediocrity.


Pin It!

23 comments:

  1. I actually do mini lessons on how important it is to reread and how it can help us improve our reading skills. I have a saying hanging in my classroom that I refer to a lot that says..."Read it once. Read it twice. Read it 'til it sounds real nice." My students know it by heart and understand what it means.
    Connie Anderson:)
    www.welcometofirstgraderoom5.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Connie, I'm loving your saying. I might need to steal that. :)

      Delete
  2. I too have the hardest time with boiled eggs. Although I've learned a couple of tricks. One is to put baking soda in and the second is to put the eggs in cold water for 10 minutes after boiling.
    Love the quote. I love Rasinski. I was able to go to a training a few years ago with him and he changed the way I look at fluency.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kerri, it's cool that Rasinski gave you a different perspective. Thanks for the egg tips. :)

      Delete
  3. Yes!! I feel that all students benefit from re-reading. Thanks for sharing these thoughts. Great to see reflective thinking from another teacher!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh, I enjoy these Saturday posts simply because I get to be reflective. Thanks for joining the conversation.

      Delete
  4. Yay for repeated readings!! They are so beneficial to our students in building fluency and comprehension. Rasinski has great thoughts on this. :)
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, I knew you'd enjoy these ideas from Rasinski!

      Delete
  5. Great thoughts Tammy. I had the Rasinski book "The Fluent Reader" checked out from the library. I never got to it. I think I need to go back to the library and check it out again and READ it. Thanks so much!
    Kelly
    I'm Not Your Grandpa, I'm Your Teacher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly, yes you should do that. It's a good read. :)

      Delete
  6. I'm a big Rasinki fan as well. I think he's a very passionate presenter. I even e-mailed him some pics of an activity we tried that he suggested and a question and he responded to it right away! We have a poem every week that we read together in whole group and you can soooo tell the difference from Monday and Friday-that's from the re-reading! That's how I try to show the kids how important it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss Trayers, I haven't heard Rasinski present. It sounds like quite a treat. I do weekly poems like that too, and their fluency does improve greatly with daily rereading.

      Delete
  7. Don't feel bad about the boiling of eggs....I never know how long I should let them boil. So, sometimes I get lucky and they are good and done and sometimes I don't and they are not done and awful. LOL!
    I agree with you about re-reading...it is so beneficial to our kiddos! Thanks for sharing!Teaching Little Miracles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal, fortunately I haven't had any eggs turn out badly. I just wish I could do it without having to ask around. Thanks for reading, of course!

      Delete
  8. You are SO smart ... what a wonderful, tangible connection. I am learning SO much about teaching literacy from your Saturday Sayings! Is it possible that at 52 years old, I've never actually taught anyone to read?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, you're very much too sweet. I'm not sure about me being SO smart, but thank you. I love that in your 52 years, you have taught countless children the importance of character. :)

      Delete
  9. Another great post. I always arrive late to this weekly party and I have nothing new to offer in the comments:). If it makes you feel better, tho', I always have to ask my husband how long it takes to boil the egg? 10? 15? I usually end up winging it:)
    I agree...repeated readings are the way to go. Weekly poems work wonders for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb, it does make me feel better. :) Gotta love weekly poems for sure!

      Delete
  10. Great Post! I never tire of reviewing Rasinski and fluency. I love the comparison to your egg boiling!
    Sandi at Literacy Minute

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandi, thank you. I'm not surprised that you're a Rasinski fan too.

      Delete
  11. So right Tammy. Repeated readings are an absolute must! Thanks for sharing. Sounds like a good book.

    Kelli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelli, it's a great read. I'd sure recommend it.

      Delete