Monday, March 19, 2012

Why Didn't I Think of That?

I've struggled with how to manage differentiation with contextual math problems.  So many issues, both managerial and academic, can stem from numbers that are either too easy or are too hard.  It can be a dilemma for sure - one that can make me want to pull out my hair at times.


Do I have extra number sets mindful for kids who need them and just jot them in their math journal as I'm observing who needs easier or more challenging numbers?

Do I type the same contextual problem three times but with different number sets and then personally deliver them to specific kids?

I've tried both options, and for various reasons, they just don't flow and work as smoothly as I'd like.


I just bought this book and found an answer I can live with.  It was one of those, "Like why didn't I think of this?" moments.  This is how my contextual problems look now.  

The popcorn ladies popped (10, 26, 78) bags of popcorn.  They sold (5, 15, 45).  How many bags did they have left?

I found that some kids need a little guidance as to which numbers to choose, but even so, this is night and day easier to manage than anything I tried before.  You might give it a go and see if it saves you a few hairs too.

Pin It!

8 comments:

  1. It's just like when you teach different math strategies to get to the same answer and you teach the kids to choose the one that works for them. Now your students can choose the problem that is where they are with their thinking and skill level. Going to make your job so much easier!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, I'm sure hoping so. At least it's a step in the right direction I believe. There's still so much more to learn about being a better teacher. It's a good thing that never gets old!

      Delete
  2. I have this book!! I have yet to crack the spine, though. Now I am going to - you've inspired me!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keri, I'm enjoying it so far. It's rearranged a few of my old ways of thinking already. I hope you enjoy it.

      Delete
  3. I got this book a year and a half ago. Love it! Great ideas!
    Petersons-Pad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheree, I'm enjoying it too so far. It's good to know someone else thinks it's worthwhile as well.

      Delete
  4. Great blog with wonderful ideas. I just awarded you the "One Beautiful Blog" award. Stop by my blog to grab your award.

    Sarah
    Mackey'sClassroom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah. That's very thoughtful of you. I'll be dropping by!

      Delete