Saturday, March 24, 2012

Saturday Sayings: Feelin' Better Already




Ouch.  Sometimes being reflective hurts a little, but if it means I become a more effective teacher and my kids have a better opportunity to learn and show what they can do, then it must be worth it.  This post isn't about laying blame though.  It's about reflectively looking at instruction to find out why the results might not be up to par.  


I'll offer a simple example.  We only use pens during writer's workshop, but it can drive me crazy (and I mean crazy) when kids scribble (and I mean scribble) out mistakes instead of simply crossing them out.  It sure makes the reader's job harder.  Is it really the kids' fault?  Why am I not getting the results I want?  I think the answer is found in something else Regie says in Writing Essentials.


"When my teaching breaks down, it's almost always because my demonstrations have not been sufficient."  (71)

She also says...

"One demonstration is rarely enough."  (75)

Okay, so the next time I find myself with results I'm not exactly happy with, there's no need to rake myself over the coals.  Instead I'll take a reflective look at how I can improve my demonstrations and prepare myself for better results next time.  I feel better already.  Don't you?

Pin It!

16 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Jennifer, me too. :) Thanks for coming by.

      Delete
  2. There is definitely truth in that quote. Thanks for a reminder.

    First Grade Delight
    imgoingfirst@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Delighted, I needed it too. I'm glad you dropped by.

      Delete
  3. It is so easy to model one or two times and think...ok, I'm done! This is a great reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandi, that's very true. Regie says, "I do. We do. We do. We do. You do." (I need to blog about that one.)

      Delete
  4. So much truth to this! After a lesson that doesn't go as well as I wanted, I am a little (lot) frustrated. But if I back up and take a good look at what I did (or didn't do), I can find where I could improve on how I taught it or set it up to do better next time. Great reflective post!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, I know the frustrated feeling as well. It's good to know the kids give us lots of chances to get better at this.

      Delete
  5. Hey...... I know the person in that picture!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Been there, too! Glad you're feeling better. I live by Regie's words! I use pencils (and colored for editing so parents and I can see what they've edited)but I've had the same problem. More showing (eventually!)on my part helped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, I love Regie. She's my favorite literacy guru. I love hearing that others love her too. Of course, thanks for coming by!

      Delete
  7. This is so true...model, model, model! Being reflective is a very positive thing. You have greater success when you reflect, rather than blame others.

    Just started to follow you. Come to my blog sometime!
    Liz
    Stickers, Scissors, and Smiles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz, thanks for following. I appreciate every single follower like they were the first. I'll definitely come by your blog.

      Delete
  8. LOVE LOVE your blog! I found you through the linky:) Im your newest follower! I hope you'll stop by my blog and check out the giveaway Im having....Help me reach 100 followers:)
    www.123teachwithme.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tammy. I just dropped by your blog. Only a few more to reach 100! Congrats. Thanks for coming by.

      Delete