Wednesday, March 28, 2012

That's What It's All About

We sing our way through the day it seems.  It's such a great management tool, especially during transitions.  As you know, there are so many throughout the day that they can really eat up instructional time if you're not careful.  Many years ago, I borrowed the following idea from a brilliant teacher friend of mine.  Take a listen.

(I wish I could have shown their singing faces, but alas, I don't have permission.  I hope it's okay that one little face snuck into the picture for a split second.)

It works wonders and makes for efficient transitions.  We like to change the words for most anything they need out of their desks.  Pencils, crayons, you name it.


Pin It!

15 comments:

  1. Love the singing when transitioning. This is my first year in first...taught middle school previously. I definitely need some of your ideas if you don't mind sharing. If you don't mind sharing please email me tamiller@lf.k12.de.us
    Thanks Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tiffany, I'd love to share. Expect an email.

      Delete
  2. So cute! Great idea for transitioning and not wasting time!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, yep we don't waste much time in my room.

      Delete
  3. Love the singing! My group loves to chant or sing in funny voices (robot, mouse, vampire) it really helps keep them moving and focus on the transitioning quickly!

    -Julie
    www.lightafire3.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't it though, Julie? It's such a great timesaver. Thanks for coming by and reading.

      Delete
  4. What a cute idea! I'm so not a singer but I love when the kids sing. :)

    WILD About First Grade!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The good news is that the kids don't know if you sing well or not so might as well join in!

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was one of Blake's favorite things about your classroom! (And lots of other stuff!)


    Finding Joy in the Journey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's special that someone as wonderful as he loved my class like he did.

      Delete
  7. I gave you an award on my latest post!! Come check it out!
    Jessica

    Apples and Papers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica. I will definitely do that!

      Delete
  8. Oh, sounds neat but when I clicked to listen the box just disappeared!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry to hear that. I just checked it and it worked for me. Hmm.

      Delete