Saturday, March 17, 2012

Saturday Sayings: Expect More

Last week's Saturday Sayings was supposedly one of my top favorites, but then there's this one.  I really do love this one.


(Maybe these Saturday posts should be called Saturday Sayings a la Regie Routman.  I promise I do read books authored by other experts.  I'll get to them soon!)

Expectations - oh how they've changed.  I can almost remember the days when I expected every child in my class to start and finish one and only one story each day.  I also thought I needed to meet with each one when they finished, getting my hands on every piece they wrote.  How this limited them.  They simply were not writing enough.

For many years I've been free of this micro-management type of teaching.  Even better, my kids have been free too.  They write and write and write.  If they finish a piece, there's no checking in with Miss McMorrow.  They know, "When you're done, you've just begun" and off they go to start a new piece.  Without a doubt my kids write a whole lot more than they did way back when.  In ten years, no doubt my writers will write even more and better than they do today.  Continue to expect more.


Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. Yay for high expectations! When we get out of their way, they can just take off and fly!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, yes they do. I continually find my expectations can be higher. As always, thanks for your supportive comments.

      Delete
  2. Love these sayings! In fact, you have inspired me to bring out my copy of Reading Essentials and it is on my spring break (re) reading list!

    -Julie
    www.lightafire3.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie, I'm thrilled that these sayings and my blog inspires you. Don't you just love Regie? I gobble up everything she writes. Enjoy your second look at Reading Essentials.

      Delete
  3. I love this: "When you're done, you've just begun."! Thank you for sharing these thoughts.

    Your handwriting post made me smile...I call the writing line a "handwriting road" and tell students if I would or would not "ride" with their letters. The writing license is a terrific idea!

    ReadWriteSing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chrissy, I got that line from Lucy Calkins. My kids have heard me say it so often that I can begin the sentence and they'll finish it. Thanks for coming by and commenting. It's good to hear from you.

      Delete