Wednesday, March 14, 2012

My Little Addiction

Yes it's true.  I'm a little obsessed.  My name is Tammy and I'm addicted to nice handwriting.  Yes it's also true that I want my kids to show pride in their handwriting.  I'd really like the world to be able to read the amazing things these young writers can write.  The good news is that I don't have to spend a lot of instructional time on it and come January, I can integrate it in a meaningful way into what I'm already doing.


Here's my handwriting timeline for the year:
August and September - 15 minutes a day on whiteboards
October, November, December - 20 minutes once a week with direct instruction  
January through the end of the year - 10 minutes a day using chat books (click here to read about them)


Each child keeps a handwriter's license in their chat book.  If they use their best handwriting in their chat book, they earn the right to keep their license.  If they break some handwriting speed limit rules, then I keep their license until they earn it back with good handwriting.  They don't particularly like losing that license, so it helps motivate them to do their best for a very short 10 minutes out of the day.  



I believe I found the license in a teacher magazine years ago. I'm sharing it with you.  I hope that's not illegal or something.  Click on the picture for your own.  (Pardon the fact that it's not the most beautiful copy.)


On a different note, I'm joining a linky party although I must admit I'm not sure exactly what that means.  Here's a link to Kindergarten Lifestyle to find out more.  










Pin It!

18 comments:

  1. What a great idea! Thanks for sharing :)

    -Julie
    www.lightafire3.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful idea. This might be just the motivation I need to help my little firsties. My head is spinning with what I can do with this. Thank you for the idea!

    First Grade Delight
    imgoingfirst@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a fun idea! I can only imagine how they would hate to lose their license! So cute!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, most of them pretty much don't like losing it, although that doesn't mean that they'll slow their hand down enough to earn it back. :)

      Delete
  4. Love this idea! May have to implement this after Spring Break!! Thanks for sharing!


    Laura
    Peace, Love, and First Grade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, thank you for coming by and commenting. I'm glad you find the idea useful. I think that's pretty cool.

      Delete
  5. I so love this idea! Thank you for sharing it!

    When we get back next week, I am all about issuing some licenses! I bawk, bawk at mine when they try and turn in chicken scratch...that is their clue to go fix it. =)


    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather, that's funny. Bawk, bawk! Thanks for coming by.

      Delete
  6. I love this idea! Especially the idea of speed limit because isn't that what causes sloppy handwriting . . . writing too fast!

    I found your blog through the linky party. Stop by my blog when you have a free minute!

    Michelle
    Teach123

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle for coming by. I'll drop by and visit you too!

      Delete
  7. Such a great idea! Your students must LOVE this! I may have to borrow your idea...

    Sara :)
    Smiling In Second Grade

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. Miss J, you're welcome. Thanks for taking a look.

      Delete
  9. Nena nenamorton@yahoo.comJuly 7, 2012 at 9:03 AM

    Tammy, I love the idea of your Chat Books! How do you grade them? I teach third so I'd like to incorporate writing and penmanship! Do you have a rubric? What is acceptable? How do they do something over/correct it? Do you correct for them?
    Really like the idea of spending this "one-on-one" time with my kids because the day is so short, personal time to just get to know them is many days nil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nena, thank you for all the questions. I'll email you. :)

      Delete