Saturday, March 10, 2012

Saturday Sayings: Don't Get Too Comfortable

Anyone new to my little world of blogging will quickly find out that I like educational quotes.  I've got one to share with you today that is high on my list of favorites.




I almost feel guilty saying this, but I have my share of dusty teacher's manuals in my room.  I'm just not a fan of programs.  I don't want to give off the impression that they're all evil.  I know they have some good to offer.  I'm sure they provide especially new teachers with a vision and plan, which are both very important.  I think Regie's basically saying though, "Don't get too comfortable."  A program is simply a resource that should be in a continual state of adaptation.


The closest thing to a program that I embrace in my room is Lucy Calkins' Units of Study for Primary Writing.  Do I teach it exactly like Lucy?  Nope, and I know that's just what she would expect of me in order to meet the needs of my students.  Modify, adapt, pick and choose, make it your own.


Regie also says, "...none of the exemplary teachers were tied to commercial materials.  Exemplary teachers taught children, and typical teachers taught programs." (185)


I understand this is only one person's opinion, but she inspires me to be exemplary.


Pin It!

14 comments:

  1. I love your Saturday Sayings! It gets my wheels turning- even on the weekend! :)

    -Julie
    www.lightafire3.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie, that means a lot to me. I've had my doubts about Saturday Sayings. Thank you.

      Delete
  2. That's some good food for thought. I cannot convince the people that I work with that our math series that we just adopted and hate is just a stepping stone. It doesn't have to rule everything we do. Luckily our principal is in agreement with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms. Kerri, I have a principal like that too. How fortunate we are, huh? Thanks for coming by.

      Delete
  3. Great reflective post! So important to look at the teacher's guides as resources. Who knows their students and their needs better than the teacher?
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, well said. Teacher's guides don't have a front row seat into the lives of our students like we do. Thanks for visiting like you always do.

      Delete
  4. That's exactly what I needed to hear! Sometimes I worry that I'm not using a program exactly. the. way. it. is. written. My teaching evolves and changes every year. I use different aspects of a program to help my students learn the way that is best for them. Thank you for sharing!

    Sara :)
    Smiling In Second Grade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sara, sounds like you're doing exactly what you're supposed to be doing. Keep it up and glad my post was helpful. :)

      Delete
  5. Oh my gosh! I say this all the time! I think I will add a Saturday sayings to my blog and we can see how great minds think alike!!!
    What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, great minds do think alike! You can bet I'd love reading your Saturday Sayings too! As always, thanks for coming by and commenting.

      Delete
  6. Love some Regie! My Transitions book is tattered and torn, but I still love it!! Thanks for sharing!


    Laura
    Peace, Love, and First Grade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, you too eh? I hang on every word Regie says. She makes so much sense to me. Glad you love her too.

      Delete
  7. I want to print this out and mail it to the company who made my reading program!! Ay caramba. Thanks for sharing this; it makes me feel validated!!

    Marvelous Multiagers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill, I'm glad these words bring some validation your way. Programs aren't all that great at validating the great things that we teachers do.

      Delete