I could make a list of things I'd like to do better tomorrow than I did yesterday.
- develop better math tasks
- teach kids to write with more sophisticated details
- confer in a way that thoroughly nudges each writer
- use read aloud strategies to their potential
- develop a system for better vocabulary acquisition
- get into deeper thinking
- improve the use of meaningful conversations between kids about their thinking
- teach long vowel patterns better
- continually improve authentic phonics instruction
- learn how to use my new document camera and soon-to-own Smart board
- turn the struggling readers into confident, fluent readers
- be more systematic with math warm-ups
- implement more Common Core
For years my goal has been to perfect first grade, knowing full well that it's an unreachable goal. Usually those types of goals are discouraging but not this one. It keeps me moving in the right direction. I've a feeling that in ten years, my list will be just as long as it is today, as it should be.