Saturday, March 30, 2013

Saturday Sayings: A Lifetime



I'm not insinuating that I've arrived at the status of top teacher of writing.  I can say with much conviction that if Donald Graves, Lucy Calkins, or Regie Routman visited my classroom during writing workshop, it wouldn't take long for them to make a lengthy list on my behalf, possibly entitled: "Ways Tammy Could Improve Her Writing Instruction."  Oh how I relish the thought.  My heart would enjoy every minute of their company.  (Rest in peace Donald Graves.)  

I'd sure like to become a top teacher of writing.  Thus far on my journey, I know Donald is right.  Being a writing teacher does require a lifetime of learning.  My writing instruction is continually in a state of transformation with a changing pedagogy and higher expectations.  There never seems to be a point when I can sit back, take a deep breath, and claim "I've arrived."  There indeed are many moments of great satisfaction after seeing the fruits of pushing myself and my writers to try new things, but there's never a point of knowing I've got it all figured out.  Here's to a lifetime of learning how to be a better writing teacher, 'cause that's how long it's going to take for me to figure this writing thing out.  (A little visit from Regie or Lucy might help too.)

Pin It!

18 comments:

  1. I disagree with you today, Tammy....I do think you are a top notch teacher of writing!! Lucy and Regie would be very pleased if they came to visit you and your class. :)
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, I don't know that you've ever disagreed with me before. Caught me off guard at first. :) Thanks for the very sweet and thoughtful words.

      Delete
  2. I agree with Lori. If you aren't a top notch teacher of writing (and math and everything else), then I don't know who is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laur. You always think so highly of me.

      Delete
  3. Tammy - This is the first year I've taught writing - before it's been a special. After just about everything I do, I say - next year....
    Thanks for the ideas you share - it's helping me become better.
    I have to agree with the 2 previous comments! But aren't we all that way - downplaying what we do.
    Happy Easter, Sara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sara, when trying out something new, like a new writing genre, I always can look forward to teaching it better the next year. It's nice to know there's a "next year."

      Delete
  4. Writing has been my focus this year too. It was even part of my professional growth plan. We are always so hard on ourselves. I also love the font in your Saturdays Sayings, where did it come from? Have a blessed Easter.
    Tammy
    Primary Paradise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tammy, writing sure is worth focusing on. My Saturday Sayings font is DJ Dude. Glad you like it!

      Delete
  5. You are a lifelong learner, Tammy, just like me. I never want to stop learning how to be a better teacher. I am always searching out new and better ways of doing things. Like you, I am enjoying the journey...and maybe someday I will arrive:)
    Connie Anderson:)
    www.welcometofirstgraderoom5.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Connie, maybe some day huh? I love that you love to continually push yourself and outgrow where you are currently at.

      Delete
  6. This is true! I have been teaching for 3 years and every year I'm trying something or tweaking something to improve my writing instruction (among other things). In my recent interview for my new position, I said it so eloquently (not really)... I believe I said something like, "When a teacher gets comfortable, that's bad." Ha! But it is true - we have to keep growing and changing if we are going to give our students what is best for them.

    Crystal
    Teaching Little Miracles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal, "When a teacher gets comfortable, that's bad." Well said! :) I love it!

      Delete
  7. I'm so happy to hear you say that, Tammy. Because I've been teaching for 23 years now (I think ~ ha ha) and I'm ALWAYS changing and trying out new things. Sometimes I worry that I'm still doing that ... you'd think I'd have it all figured out by now, too. But then I remember that new ideas and change are important; that's how you keep learning and moving forward. Here's to lifelong learning!

    ❀Barbara❀
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb, I'm not surprised that you're always changing and trying new things. That's what great teachers do all life long. :)

      Delete
  8. Master teachers are the ones who choose to learn and grow int heir teaching. Great saying.

    Laurie
    Chickadee Jubilee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurie, very true - always searching for ways to be better at what we do.

      Delete
  9. I feel the same way Tammy it's a never ending cycle!! Melissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa, nope we can't get comfy in this occupation.

      Delete