Wednesday, March 27, 2013

T-Shirt Celebration!

My writers just finished writing small moments from Lucy Calkins' Authors as Mentors unit.  They sure have come a long way from the first time they wrote small moments at the beginning of the year.  Like, light years long way.  Since they've improved so much and have worked so hard, we celebrated big time for this unit.  Check these out.

23 t-shirts
 an example (front)
an example (back)
 zoomed in (front - the child's picture)
 zoomed in (back - the child's published small moment)

I take absolutely no credit for this idea, so please give a big round of applause to Amanda from Teaching Maddeness for sharing her story tees with me and all of her other followers.  

(Click on the button to go see Amanda.)

She explains how to pull this off on her blog, which you'll definitely want to visit.  I couldn't have done it without her help.  One of the things she suggests is asking parents for their assistance.  I was fortunate enough to receive lots of donations, so my only investment was time. It was so worth it though, and I'm very thankful that parents took care of the rest.  Here's an example of the letter I sent home.  Click on the picture if you'd like a copy.


I'm so honored that Amanda graciously let me borrow her idea and then share it on my blog.  Please do go and pay her a visit.  She's got wonderful ideas to share!  

I'd also like to thank my best friend for helping me iron on 46 transfer sheets.  I'm the gal who doesn't even own an ironing board, so I was in need of lots of help!  (Sorry it gave you a headache Paige.  Those fumes were not fun!)

I'm on spring break this week, so my littles will get their t-shirts on Monday.  Who cares what they show up wearing to school?  I'm betting these t-shirts will be going right over the top and maybe staying there for several days!  What a way to celebrate being writers!

Pin It!

18 comments:

  1. These are super! Looks like your kiddos have been working hard! We just finished the Authors as Mentors unit too!

    :) Tamra and Sarah
    First Grade Buddies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tamra and Sarah, they sure have been working hard. I love to hear that you're Lucy fans too!

      Delete
  2. Tammy, These are so cool...the kids are going to get such a kick out of wearing their published work. I often read Amanda's blog but I missed these...you two always make me wish I taught older kids (only until I'm back with my little ones:)
    Lyn
    Mrs. Goff's Pre-K Tales

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lyn, I'm so glad I saw this on Amanda's blog. The kids are going to love seeing their writing on a shirt. By the way, I'm glad that you're teaching the little ones before they come our way. They need you and a solid foundation!

      Delete
  3. What a fabulous way to celebrate being a writer! Your students are going to be sooo excited to see these shirts. Very impressive!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, they are going to be more than excited. I'm so glad I found this idea from Amanda!

      Delete
  4. Wow! These are such a neat idea and a unique way to publish their stories. Thanks for sharing.

    Meghan
    Learning and Teaching for Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meghan, I thought so too when I found the idea. I'm glad I could share it with you like it was shared with me.

      Delete
  5. Happy I could help. Loved how they turned out. You do amazing work with these kiddos my friend. They are more than blessed to have you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you friend for helping and for your thoughts about my classroom.

      Delete
  6. Wow, Tammy! Those are so cute! And with the way people are turning old t-shirts into quilts, I'm sure the parents would love to have this one to add to their kiddo's one day.

    Crystal
    Teaching Little Miracles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal, I hope some parents do just that. I wouldn't think they'd want to throw these away when the kids grow out of them!

      Delete
  7. Wow! I wish I could be in your class! Have a great break.
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun idea! Your kids wear their authorship.

    Laurie
    Chickadee Jubilee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurie, I think they'll wear it proudly too.

      Delete
  9. Amazing!!!! Tammy what a wonderful keepsake to have from first grade!! I bet your kids treasure their shirts!!! I may steal this next year!! LOVE LOVE Melissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa, please do steal. That's what I did!

      Delete