Monday, March 4, 2013

Handy Toolboxes

I like a clean desk.  A clean desk means less time spent looking for tools.  Less time spent looking for tools means more time learning.  Regie Routman has taught me to teach with a sense of urgency.  Clean desks help me do that.  One of the things that helps my kids keep their desks organized is their toolbox.  I found them at an office supply store several years ago for 50 cents a piece. 


They keep their whiteboard marker and eraser in their toolbox.  (Nothing else is welcome.)


Whenever their whiteboard comes out, so does their toolbox. It's pretty handy, organized, easy, and helps us use our time for better things than rummaging for stuff that's wandering around the insides of desks.


Pin It!

16 comments:

  1. Easy & simple organization! I like that- no time lost to looking for tools.
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tammy - I love this! I have the expo and mini erasers in the middle of the table in a basket and it gets so noisy as they are reaching across to get them. Great idea!
    Vicky
    Traditions, Laughter and Happily Ever After

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicky, thank you. It seems to cut down on noise for sure.

      Delete
  3. Hi Tammy! So simple, so great! My markers and erasers are in their "math cubbies" and they are constantly saying they can't "find" them... Thanks for sharing.

    Crystal
    Teaching Little Miracles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal, you're welcome. Is it annoying when they can't "find" stuff? :)

      Delete
  4. I also teach with a sense of urgency! I don't like wasting learning time either. I work in a school with a 97% poverty rate, so I don't have a minute to waste. This is a great organizational tip!
    Connie Anderson:)
    www.welcometofirstgraderoom5.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Connie, I can see why you teach with a sense of urgency as well. There's just not enough time in the day with these kids, and so ever minute counts.

      Delete
  5. Okay, I totally have to use that idea with our little chalkboards. Thanks!
    ❀Barbara❀
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb, I'm glad this little idea will come in handy for you too!

      Delete
  6. Organization is key!! I also believe in tidy desks-saves so much time and teaches them from a young age to be organized.

    ReplyDelete