Saturday, February 16, 2013

Saturday Sayings: Lessons Gone Bad (Plus Guests)



How many times have I finished a lesson and said to myself, "Well, that didn't go so well."  It happens to the best of us, whether we've been teaching for 19 years or 1.  In my opinion, numerous variables can play a part in the demise of a lesson, but I believe Debbie Diller makes a good point here.  If I spend my time during a lesson fighting off-task behavior and dealing with several interruptions, I have a responsibility to reflectively ask myself these three questions:
  • Was the task too hard?
  • Did I explain and model the task well enough so that the students understood what to do?
  • Did I make the purpose of the task clear?
I can witness to the fact that typically my least effective and most frustrating lessons are not the children's fault.  Their behavior was a direct link to my teaching.  Maybe the task was too hard.  That problem can lead to all kinds of behavior issues.  Maybe, and I think this is very common, they simply didn't know how to do what I wanted them to do.  (Regie Routman says, "I do it.  We do it.  We do it.  We do it.  You do it.")  Sometimes we send them off without enough practice to handle the task independently, and thus they don't handle it well at all.  Maybe they didn't even know why they were doing what I asked of them.  If there's no real-life meaning to it and I haven't made it clear, it's much easier to be off-task.  Granted, there are moments when I feel like I do everything right and don't see the results I want, but most of the time, Debbie Diller is right about this.  Without beating myself up, I need to be reflective and recognize the part I play in those lessons that don't turn out like I had hoped.  Selah.  

I've got a pair of lovely guests today.  Sara and Christy would love for you to pay them a visit this morning.  I'll be on my way soon, because I know what they have prepared for us is definitely worth reading.  I'm thoroughly looking forward to their Saturday Sayings.  How about you?

Sara

reddotheader-1
Christy
Pin It!

12 comments:

  1. When I'm having one of THOSE lessons I now just tell the kids I need to rethink the way I'm teaching it and let's try again the next day. I used to carry on and get more and more frustrated, but not anymore. It's really true about the need for constant modelling, too. I wish I had understood that more in my earlier years:)
    Barbara
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, that's good advice. Most of us do just press on even when it's not going well.

      Delete
  2. Debbie Dillar is so right. Some lessons look good on paper but then you try it out and it doesn't always go like you planned. Time to reflect and figure out why! Good quote!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, yep reflecting is the key instead of just assuming it was the kids' fault.

      Delete
  3. You don't have to teach very long to find the truth in today's quote! We learn so much from those lessons if we pay attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandi, you're right. We can definitely learn from them if we're willing to do the work.

      Delete
  4. Absolutely. Had this moment just the other day. Reflection is such a massive part of our job. Reflect and improve practices. Thanks for sharing Tammy.

    Kelli
    Tales From a Traveling Teacher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelli, reflection is definitely key to improving what we do.

      Delete
  5. I needed this! I had more than one bad lesson this week. There has just been too much going on in the classroom and outside. I love having Saturdays to reflect, renew and rejoice that I get a chance to try again Monday!!
    Jenny
    Owl Things First

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny, that's a great way to look at it. Monday rolls around and we get to rejoice in another chance. We all need second chances!

      Delete
  6. I love it when I can give directions and then dismiss students who think they get it. Giving others a chance to stay at carpet and get a bit more instruction and for kids to come back if they realize they missed something. Thanks again for the Saturday thought! Hopefully I can join up this Saturday...I heard a lot from Sharon Taberski and Matt Glover this past weekend!

    Laurie
    Chickadee Jubilee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurie, you've got a great system to help make sure your kids know what's up. Let me know if you'd like to join me on Saturday. I'd love to add you!

      Delete