Wednesday, February 6, 2013

I'm Thinking of a Number Task (freebie)

I love a great math task that's open ended, engaging, and easy to use.  This one came from a math class I'm taking through my district.  It's called "I'm Thinking of a Number."  I've included pictures of what I wrote on the board, as well as pictures of what kids did.  Two heads are better than one, so they worked in pairs.  Here goes...

I'm thinking of a number.  My number is between 20 and 40.
Is it 22?
My number is greater than 22.
Is it 33?
My number is less than 33.
Is it 27?
My number is greater than 27.
Is it 31?
My number equals 31.

Thus ensues hooping and hollering!

Needless to say, the kids loved this game.  I loved it too.  It gave them a change to practice number sense, place value, greater/less than, symbols, cooperation, etc., and it gave me a chance to see who needs more practice with these skills.  (Nope, 6 doesn't come between 20 and 40.)  

Click on the pictures below for your own copies.  A single sheet allows for numbers to 100, because they can use more than two cards to create a number.  Obviously the first sheet is more concrete, the second abstract.  If you teach larger numbers, add some hundreds to the mix and you're good to go as well. 



Pin It!

12 comments:

  1. I just LOVE LOVE this!! I am going to have to share it with my first grade friend! What a great way to introduce so many different thing!! Thanks for the download too Tammy! Melissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa, you're very welcome. I'm glad it's going to be useful.

      Delete
  2. I absolutely LOVE this idea! Some of my kiddos REALLY need help with this. Thank you so much for sharing!!

    Rachel
    A-B-Seymour

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel, mine need the help too. This is an easy and engaging way to get them thinking!

      Delete
  3. Fun, fun! You cover so many skills with this along with strategic thinking skills. I can imagine how they love it when they guess the number!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, they sure do love it, even if they weren't the ones who guessed correctly. :)

      Delete
  4. Hi Tammy -
    I bet they love this game...how fun and engaging!
    Vicky
    Traditions, Laughter and Happily Ever After

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've done this in my classroom before. It's a great activity. I love the 10's and 1's pictures you created! Great post!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacy, it's a great one, huh? Thanks for coming by!

      Delete
  6. We play a similar game with the 100s chart. It's a good one for sure!
    Barbara
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

    ReplyDelete