Saturday, December 21, 2013

Saturday Sayings: A Positive Disposition



Overall, I don't remember much about my young disposition about math, but I do remember as I progressed later through the grades, probably even into high school, that I did not appreciate problem solving.  I didn't get story problems, and most of the time, they seemed so irrelevant and removed from my own experiences.  I might have wondered, "Who cares how many miles So-And-So traveled?"  I would have never verbalized those frustrations or given less than my best effort, but I'm certain that I didn't take away from those situations what my math teachers expected. I'm really hoping for better with my young mathematicians.  

The other day I was sitting with the three second grade teachers from my school.  They all agreed that the kids coming from our first grade are not intimidated by problem solving situations.  They have no trouble attacking a problem and trying out different strategies on the same problem.  They're positive and flexible.  Of course, I was happy to hear such news.  I believe this comes from allowing them the chance to solve problems in ways that make sense to them, instead of teaching them to memorize steps that the teacher has ordained as the right way.  They trust themselves and their abilities.  I also believe they benefit from learning from the mathematicians around them.  The learning that results from constant math talk coming from their peers can nudge and transform their thinking oftentimes better than I can.  If I could have had these same experiences as a young mathematician, I'm fairly confident my disposition towards math, specifically problem solving, would be a much more positive one.


Pin It!

8 comments:

  1. I absolutely could have benefited from this kind of thinking when I was going through school. It didn't take long for those word problems to take down my confidence. I would start those problems out thinking I wouldn't probably get it. I think talk between and among the students is a key part too. They learn so much from each other and how to work through these problems. Your students are miles ahead!!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, I do think they're on a better path than I was. At least I hope so.

      Delete
  2. This is great news! I love it when the 3rd grade teachers say they can tell we're doing something right in 2nd grade. I'm trying to move more and more to problem solving their way and then talking about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sara, I think you'll be happy that you're moving that direction.

      Delete
  3. How often do you do problem solving? Every day or once a week? I struggle with this kind of lesson cause there are always two or three who've solved it in two minutes and others who don't know where to begin despite modelling etc. any thoughts on how you handle that?
    Love this weekly post, Tammy. Merry Christmas!
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb, those are all great questions. I still struggle with these things too. I'll email you.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like you are doing something right! I've thrown in a "story problem" type problem on our Mission Possible Math we do each day. It is interesting to hear the different methods they come up with and helpful to others. Hope we are getting there!

    Crystal
    Teaching Little Miracles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal, their methods are definitely interesting and helpful!

      Delete