Monday, December 16, 2013

New Christmas Tradition

For 19 years, I've relied on Scholastic bonus points to provide me with books for my kids' Christmas gifts.  This year I couldn't find the right book, so I went on a search for another option.  This is what I came up with.  My best friend Paige helped me think this through.


I made scarves.  These were my 6 fabric choices.  


After my dear Aunt Pat cut the fabric for me and my sister-in-law, Tammy Jo, reminded me how to use a sewing machine, I sewed pockets at both ends of each scarf.


I also sewed their names on the underside.  

I'm obviously not an accomplished seamstress.  I managed to graduate from high school without ever taking a home-ec class.  Surprisingly, I've made a few quilts in my day, even though I really don't know what I'm doing.  Here's my favorite.  Look closely and you'll see several embroidered Nike swooshes.


Anyway, even though I love giving away books as gifts, I think these scarves have become my new Christmas tradition.


Pin It!

12 comments:

  1. Very nice! My student love anything with their name on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! You're so talented. I bet the kids will cherish them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susanna, I do hope so. I hope to see them wearing them often.

      Delete
  3. Such a great idea!! I can't sew but my grandmother did teach me a straight stitch. Just might try this out next year. Thanks for sharing!!

    Laurie
    First Grade Lyons' Den

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurie, I can't sew either, so I'm sure you could do it!

      Delete
  4. Your students are going to love the scarves! For not having taken any home ec classes, your quilt turned out pretty great!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, thank you. I still don't know what I'm doing though.

      Delete
  5. Homemade gifts are the BEST! Great idea!! I am sure your students will treasure them.
    Connie Anderson:)
    Welcome To First Grade Room 5

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! I am so impressed with your quilt. For someone who does not sew very much, you did a great job with that. Those are some small pieces to piece together. I've done quilts before but nothing with that many pieces. I also love the idea of NIKE swooshes. My daughter is a BIG Nike fan. The only shoes she will buy is Nike. I will have to look into making something like this for her.
    I also like your scarf idea. That should be something that I start in the summer and have it finished before school even begins. Wouldn't that be a first? Wishful thinking! Anyway, thanks for sharing your ideas. I haven't blogged in a long time. I just don't seem to have time and when I do have time, I just don't feel like it. Call me lazy. Hope you had a great Christmas!
    Tammy

    Mrs. Flickinger's Butterfly Oasis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tammy, your daughter sounds a lot like me. I'm a Nike gal through and through. I bet she'd love a Nike quilt. :) Merry Christmas to you!

      Delete