Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Real Readers and Fake Readers

Our real readers and fake readers chart states that real readers can talk about the books they read.  Fake readers can't.  In order to remind my readers that talking about books is so important, each one keeps a little checkmark in their book basket at all times.  (Bless my talented aunt and uncle for making them several years ago out of some type of study board.)  Here are some pictures of the checkmarks in action.

I spotted this reader with the checkmark in his hand as he was talking about his book with himself.  (They also use them with their reading buddies.)


This young reader was doing the same.


Here's where the checkmark lives when it's not helping a reader talk about their book.

Thanks to The Sisters for inspiring me to have my readers check on their understanding!


Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. OK, I LOVE love LOVE this! Check for understanding ... check!! I'm so sharing this with my friend across the hallway. Real readers and imposters; that cracks me up ... thanks for a day maker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, I'm glad you love it enough to share it too. :)

      Delete
  2. Now I need some checkmarks! This is a great idea. I love that your little readers are using them as they talk to themselves about their book. :)
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, I bet your hubby could drum you up some. :)

      Delete
  3. The wood check marks would be awesome! Mine are card stock...should have laminated because they have seen better days. Ha!

    Crystal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal, have your handy husband make you some!

      Delete