Saturday, December 14, 2013

Saturday Sayings: Caution



I've been sitting on this quote for a long time, waiting for the right moment to share.  I've come to the conclusion that said moment does not exist.  The odds of stepping on someone's toes are high no matter the timing.  I don't know that Allington ever worries about such things, so I'll let him take all credit for inspiring this post.   

This last week one of my girls left town for three days.  Her mom asked that I send home any work that she would be missing.  I had to tell mom, "So much of what I do is hands-on.  It's too hard to replicate, but thank you for asking."  I couldn't supply her with worksheets or reproducibles of various shapes and sizes.  I did tell her that I'd love for her to read and write.  That's what we do, and that can be done anywhere.  When I spy random worksheets left behind in copy rooms, I'm often struck by the thought, "Is there a better way to teach and practice that skill?"  I don't have all the answers and Alllington would surely have some concerns about my own classroom practices, but I do believe there's a better way.  And I don't think it's just because I teach little ones.  I think there's a better way for 2nd and 3rd and 4th and so on.  Allington's thoughts seem to imply that more books and less stuff is what is best for our readers.  I would agree.  So as a parting thought, maybe we should all ponder what goes home with our kids when they're absent.  It sounds like something Allington wouldn't be afraid to ask.

Sandy Hook, you are not forgotten.  May you have strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow.


Pin It!

14 comments:

  1. I don't think parents always understand when their child is absent they miss so much teaching and actual putting into practice what was just taught that may or may not be replicated in most homes. Thank you for this post! And I don't think Allington is going to find anything to pick at in your room!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, I appreciate that they want to work with their kids when they're gone, but in my class, it's hard to send home what we do. :)

      Delete
  2. I've had a couple of students this year miss an entire week of school. When their parents asked for the work they would miss, I chose a good-fit book and put together a travel journal for them. I asked them to write about something they did each day and to find a math story that they could write about. I was afraid that their parents would wonder where all the worksheets were, but they seemed delighted with this alternative ... and it was the closest I could come to replicating what they might actually miss in class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope that teachers are moving away from worksheets (although I sometimes think that teachers don't think a document is a worksheet simply because it is teacher created and uses cute clip art). I have a related concern. I worry that yesterday's worksheets may be replaced by our reliance on ipads and computers. Although technology certainly has a place in our schools, it sometimes feels like "worksheet replacement" in some classrooms I've seen. As you said, kids need to read and write and manipulate materials (and finger swipes are not the same thing!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lyn, you make some excellent points here. Thank you for adding your wise thoughts to the conversation.

      Delete
  4. I just love Dick Allington quotes! He says what we want to say, but feel like we can't say it! Great post!
    Literacy Minute

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, He definitely says it like it is, huh?

      Delete
  5. I agree with you and Allington and give parents the same response. Lyn made a good point about iPads and computers, too. I have a parent who wants our daily worksheets to review with her child but we only have maybe two or three in a whole week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb, I appreciate parents who want to follow up at home. I'm happy simply when they read at home. :)

      Delete
  6. So true-I feel the same way. I have some pics I was going to post on my blog-I had a sub the other day and of course, you leave extra worksheets in case they need some filler along with the regular activities. They wanted the kids to copy the questions with the correct punctuation--my kids answered the questions! :) I had to laugh. We just don't do that kind of work very often-I much prefer authentic work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss Trayers, yep my kids wouldn't really know what to do with worksheets either. :)

      Delete
  7. This year without our math workbooks, I've had several (more than ever before) parents ask what we're doing. I need to do a better job of helping parents understand what I'm trying.
    And I really dislike the question - we're going to be gone for several days; what should my child do? I like one of your commenter's idea.
    Thanks for keeping me thinking! Sara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sara, parents are accustomed to worksheets. I let mine know at the beginning of the year in my handbook that I do things a little differently. :)

      Delete