Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Summer Fun

Mom: Are you going to do anything fun this summer?
Me: Yep. I'm gonna read.

I've read 17 books so far this summer and still managed to mow the lawn, clean the house, and take daily naps. There is one downfall to all this reading though. It's tough on my back. :)


Here are my reads for the month of June.


I've been a Lucy Calkins fan for several years. I now have her new Units of Study for first grade. I read A Guide to the Common Core Writing Workshop that comes with the units. Of course, it was great.

I've become a fan of WWII historical fiction set in Europe. This one did not disappoint.

I enjoyed this book. It does a nice job of explaining the look, sound, and feel of good math instruction.

This book helped me get a glimpse of guided math. I'm not reading another guided math book to see if I can get an even clearer idea in my head.

This one was just okay.

Every K-5 math teacher needs this book.

This is a great resource for using the hundreds chart more effectively.

I have loved Elizabeth Wein books, especially Code Name Verity. (Read that one if you haven't.) This one was just so-so for me.

This is a bit dense and not my favorite math book of the summer, but I gathered some good information from it.

I enjoyed this one. It didn't blow me away, but it was good.

This book was okay for me. 

I haven't read much YA fantasy, but this one grabbed my attention. It was a fast and enjoyable read.

I think this one is classified at juvenile fiction. It would make a great read-aloud, and I appreciate how inspiring it could be for young writers.

I didn't really care for this YA book. I wasn't in the mood for the subject matter.

This is the sequel to A Great and Terrible Beauty which I mentioned above. I enjoyed it too.

First read The Rosie Project. Then read this sequel. They're fun reads.

Here's the sequel to Rebel Angels above. It was pretty good but long. 


Pin It!

10 comments:

  1. So many books! I see from all of the math books, your class will be seeing some changes next year. :)
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, yes well be having some math fun this year. Well see if I can make it all work.

      Delete
  2. I am in awe of you! Haven't you only been out for a little while already! I'm in a bit of a slump right now--need to get back on track-haven't really even read any of my professional books yet.

    Always look forward to your recommendations. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss Trayers, readers go through seasons, so I hope you're not too hard on yourself. :)

      Delete
  3. Ooh, more great selections. Thanks! I've read two of those math books. I might have another look at them.
    Happy napping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb, napping is for sure an important part of my summer fun, especially since I don't take them during the school year expect on weekends. :)

      Delete
  4. 17 books! Wow -- that's terrific. I got stuck in a book that didn't really capture my attention, but I kept on reading til the end. Took me a while. I appreciate when you share what you've been reading -- I end up putting some on my wish list! Sara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sara, I dislike getting stuck in a book. Once I get to a certain point, I don't feel like I can give up on it. I have to get to the end even if it's painful. :)

      Delete
  5. I feel your pain on sticking with a book that I'm not enjoying--It's only been in recent years that I have finally been able to say I don't have time for a book I don't like! But it took 35 years to get to that point! Ha! My son was just telling me my hobbies are spurty--puzzles for a few weeks, reading--5 or 6 novels in two weeks, right now it's creating, you get the idea. Ha! That's me--my desire to finish things keeps me focused on one thing at a time, I guess.

    Thanks for sharing your books. I might have to get to the library now!

    Crystal
    Teaching Little Miracles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal, I'm getting better at putting down a book I'm not interested in. My problem is that if I wait too long and get too far into the book, I then feel like I have to finish no matter how hard it hurts. Silly, I know! :)

      Delete