Saturday, July 4, 2015

Saturday Sayings: Capture



Faced with 23 little faces on the first day of school is both exciting and overwhelming. I'm charged with the crucial task of transforming these kindergartners into first graders academically, behaviorally, and socially in just nine short months. That is no small feat, and it inspires me to use every minute as efficiently as I can. Yet I resist the urge to throw myself into the heat of the fire too quickly. Academics can wait. What can't wait is the need for connection - connection to me and connection to our newly-formed family. That important piece will surely make the transition into academics a smoother one.

Last year I felt inspired to add something new to the million things I say and do to connect with my kids on the first day of school, because I hoped it would help me capture their hearts. Early in the day before I had even learned all their names I said these words. "I loved you before you even showed up today" and I meant it. After a day or two of school and repeatedly relaying this message, a mom sent me an email to let me know that her son had proudly told her, "Miss McMorrow loves us." I don't have data proving the impact of my words on every student, but I'm going to assume that I captured enough hearts to warrant repeating those words on the first days of school for the remainder of my career. 


I loved you before you even showed up today.


Pin It!

10 comments:

  1. I love this :) ! I feel the same way about the connections and relationships!-Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris, I'd like to think I'm getting better at this year after year. It's so important.

      Delete
  2. That's really beautiful thank you so much for sharing that! What an amazing connection to make for all your kiddos but especially those who probably don't hear words like that very often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss Trayers, You're right. Some of those kids probably don't hear those words very often. Realizing that makes me want to say it even more.

      Delete
  3. I love the family atmosphere you foster in your classroom with your students. I know they are blessed to be spending those 9 short months with you. :)
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, I sure want them to feel like they're part of something special and to show them how to treat others who are also part of that special thing.

      Delete
  4. Thank you! You are so right. Because I teach small groups all day my relationship with these kiddos is a little different, but very special, none the less. I need to make sure I build that relationship early.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Em, I bet you can make such great connections with them in those small groups. Sometimes it's harder to do in a large group.

      Delete
  5. Truly inspiring! I have a tendency to rush, but I have determined this year to take the time needed to establish connections early. I've struggled this summer--knowing I'm getting a challenging class--but you're absolutely right. These kids will become my kids just like every other class I've had, despite the challenges that await. I will love them!

    Thanks so much for this post! I needed it!

    Crystal
    Teaching Little Miracles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal, I actually prayed before school started about loving my kids. I felt like God helped me love them even before I knew them. Some classes might need more of a heavenly intervention than others. :)

      Delete