Monday, July 20, 2015

Math and Literature


A few years ago I knew I needed to improve the way I incorporate literature into my math curriculum. I wanted to go beyond simply reading picture books about math. I wanted to take a further step and find a way for the book to become my math lesson. Honestly I didn't have a clear vision for how this was supposed to look. That's why two years later I've yet to make this happen, which makes me feel like a big loser. Yet this might be my year. 

I just finished reading Math and Literature Grades K-1 by Marilyn Burns and Stephanie Sheffield. The book is a compilation of several math lessons based on picture books. I love how the math tasks are open-ended, allowing young mathematicians access to the problem no matter their knowledge base. Multiple strategies are encouraged, accepted, and celebrated. The tasks are easy to extend for those who need it too. I also love the authenticity of the tasks. They thoroughly support the idea that kids can and should mathematize their world.

Whether I track down the particular picture books mentioned is immaterial. The lessons in this book were perfect exemplars which have given me confidence to know how to develop similar tasks regardless of the picture book at hand.

This is a very helpful read for K-1 teachers looking to use literature in a more inspiring, authentic, and mathematical way.


Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. Tammy you are killing me! I'm on book-buying probation and you keep making such good suggestions. :) I have some faves when it comes to math related books but my goal would be to find titles that can represent all math concepts. If you find any really good titles that work be sure you share-my credit card company will love me even more. :)

    Not Just Child's Play

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss Trayers, I'm sorry to tempt you! :) If you haven't read Van der Walle, you definitely should. He covers all concepts.

      Delete
  2. GREAT book...I recommend the Gr. 1 to 3 version as well. Did you know that if you go to the Marilyn Burns website, there are downloadable lessons from some of these published books? Love the real student examples and the conversations that have been recorded inside as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherry, I noted that there are lessons online, but I haven't looked yet. Thank you for reminding me!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you have lots of plans in the works for math this year! Cannot wait to hear all about it!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, I do have lots of plans. It should be interesting to see how it all plays out this year. :)

      Delete