Saturday, July 18, 2015

Saturday Sayings: The Why and the How



This thought from Serravallo has saved me from a bit of guilt, since there's a lack of writing about reading in my room. I've struggled with the practice, partly because I've never felt like my methods were adequate. I couldn't find a way to make the task feel authentic. I wanted it to mirror a real life process, and yet instead it felt like a school task which left me feeling uncomfortable about the whole thing. 

Then there's the problem that Serravallo is referring to. Young blooming readers need to read, and they require a lot of it. As the author states, the actual task of writing is often a slow one for our youngest writers. To tag writing assignments on to reading can definitely result in less reading. Also, if not done correctly, the writing can feel like an assignment, and I worry that too much of that, especially for those who struggle, can result in negative feelings towards both reading and writing. 

This is all simply food for thought for K-1 teachers. I'm not saying the practice is a bad one. In fact, Serravallo goes on to say that by the end of first grade it can be appropriate to occasionally engage the majority of students in the act of writing about their reading. In her opinion, it's not for every reader/writer though, and it's important to consider the frequency of use. Moderation is highly encouraged. I understand not everyone will agree with Serravallo or me on this issue. I'm only asking that we early elementary teachers continually reflect on the why and the how. It's hard to go wrong when those two words lead the way.

P.S. I do believe Kindergarten and first-grade students are writers. They can and must be writing every day for a sustained period of time. 

Pin It!

13 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post Tammy. I struggle with as well. When I sit in teacher meetings, I feel guilty that my students don't write as much as other first grade students in the district about their reading. I want them to read and do have them discuss but I don't want to bog students down with the writing component. Thank you again for this Saturday Saying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, you're welcome. It's actually nice to know I'm not alone in this. :)

      Delete
  2. I agree with you, the author, and the previous poster. Reading and writing need to be authentic tasks. It's very easy to get caught up in written reading responses, especially when grade partners have their students complete them so frequently. I feel that they LOOK good, but really, what's the point? A partner or group conversation does the same much more quickly, and also boosts oral language skills at the same time. There's always the pressure though, to produce something, and I'm guilty of buying into that more than I really feel I should.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pamela, I feel the same way. It does seem to me like the conversations that kids have with kids and we have with kids seems much more authentic and like what happens in the real world. I understand what you're saying about the pressure to produce something.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for this. I know that I will start "written" reading responses with the basics: title, author, illustrator, characters, setting for fiction, and title, author, illustrator, main idea for non-fiction. We won't focus on all of them at one time. Instead, we will focus on one or two, with an illustration somewhere in there. It shouldn't take longer than 5 minutes (a "quick write" if you will). We will discuss what the book was about more, focusing on listening and speaking more than writing when it comes to reading time. Writing will be done during our writing block. That way, when we are reading, we are focusing on getting better and better at it. You have made me reflect and truly, as first grade teachers, we need to be able to defend our teaching. There is so much pressure! I also need to remind myself that they are 5, 6 and 7 year olds! This post helps! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms. B, thank you for reflecting with me. That's exactly what I was hoping this post would help us all do, me included. We definitely need to know why we do what we do.

      Delete
  4. I haven't started reading this book yet, but it already sounds good. My little first grade struggling readers just aren't efficient at the beginning of the year to do a lot of writing in response to reading. They need to develop their verbal skills and hold lots of discussions about their books. Talking with each other and me helps develop these skills. But I have struggled with whether I have them doing too much and even the other direction of not enough. For me it is walking a fine line of giving my strugglers enough writing, but at a time that they are developmentally ready for it so I can propel them forward.
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! They are so little in so many ways. I think that talking and listening to each other helps them become more confident, and helps them with their comprehension. I'm sure they'd rather hear and discuss their peers' opinions/comments/questions than mine. :o)

      Delete
    2. Lori, I can see your special circumstances complicate things too, since you only have your kids for a short amount of time and want to give them chances to write too, especially if they don't get much of that in the classroom.

      Delete
  5. I am so happy you posted this, Tammy! I personally feel that writing about reading is mostly a waste of time at this age. And I might even argue any age. The last thing I want to do after I finish a great book is write about it. Yuck! Talk about it over a cup of tea or glass of wine? Definitely! In fact, I think I might start a weekly book discussion with the kids that includes iced tea or juice and make it into a ritual. BTW, before I go, I should note that I often have kids draw and paint about books were reading. They love that and often cheer when they find out that's what we're doing:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb, what you say about your own way of finishing a book is exactly what makes me question some of the things our young readers and writers are asked to do. I like your idea of chatting and drinking some juice. The drawing and painting sounds fun and meaningful too!

      Delete
  6. This is an excellent point! I know writing about reading is important, but when little ones are struggling to read AND write... I'm afraid they won't enjoy either activity! You're wise to consider this as you teach those firsties! I like Barb's idea of having kids respond to books with drawings and pictures too.

    Crystal
    Teaching Little Miracles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal, yep disliking either process is one that I fear for those who are just learning to be fluent readers and writers. Barb does offer a great suggestion! :)

      Delete