Saturday, July 25, 2015

Saturday Sayings: Radar Awareness



If my numbers are right, I've read six books about math this summer. One repeated theme throughout much of my reading is the need for math to become part of our student's worlds instead of an isolated skill set that seems unrelated to daily life. Fosnot repeatedly uses the word "mathematize." With purpose and intentionality, we math teachers can ramp up the authenticity factor for our students and invite them to mathematize their worlds. Many of them will not independently make this leap though. We are the linchpin, which brings me to the thought above by Sammons. I desire this radar awareness that she speaks of. 

In order to purposefully teach my kids how to mathematize their worlds, they obviously need to be given the opportunities to tackle math in ways that are personally relevant. I also think Sammons might be encouraging me to teach with eyes wide open, seeking out the teachable mathematical moments throughout the day that I previously might normally have overlooked. I imagine that with a radar awareness, they would abound. 

Is there math in that read-aloud? What about a class dilemma? Maybe a problem-solving situation arises out of a typical classroom routine. Obviously there's not time in the day to stop at every math situation that presents itself, but I wonder if a few might be worth tackling in order to help kids see, feel, and hear how math is personal and real lifelong tool. 


Pin It!

15 comments:

  1. Ooh, I like the idea of a math radar -- watching out for math opportunities! Sara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sara, me too. It doesn't sound all that hard either. :)

      Delete
  2. Mathematize-I like that! Always believe in bringing it back to those real-world connections. I think that's the only way to develop a true understanding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss Trayers, Yep Fosnot repeatedly talks about mathematizing their worlds. I think the pronoun she uses is important too. It's not my world, some made-up world, or a publisher's world. :)

      Delete
  3. Your math reflections inspired me to buy a new book on guided math. I've only barely started it but I'm determined to to do GM this coming year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb, too bad you weren't across the hall. We could figure GM out together!

      Delete
  4. I'm looking forward to hearing in your blog posts this school year how you mathematize your classroom!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, I'm looking forward to seeing if I can pull all this off! :)

      Delete
  5. So glad you are tackling Guided Math and reading Fosnot! Those two things have really shaped me into the math teacher I am today. I have 3 weeks left until back to school and hope to squeeze in a few more professional reading books. I am so inspired hearing other people's stories!

    Tara
    The Math Maniac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tara, I'm sure hoping I can figure out Guided Math. I still don't quite have a clear vision. :)

      Delete
  6. I know I could definitely be more aware of math opportunities that present themselves in our day! I'm often too focused on what I wanted/needed to get accomplished to stop and let the learning flow. I need to remind myself that the detours are worthwhile and the other things will get covered--eventually!

    Crystal
    Teaching Little Miracles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal, I'm the same way. I'm pretty sure there are many opportunities that I too easily overlook.

      Delete
  7. When I first started teaching math, it was in total isolation. Total. I feel bad for the kids I taught back then. My math was dry, unmotivating and uninspiring. Blah. After teaching about 4 years, we adopted Everyday Math and my math world changed. It wasn't until I taught Everyday Math that MY MATH WORLD opened up. While I was never a good math student my self, for the first time, I started to like math. Then LOVE math. Although I "only" taught first grade math, I felt like a new world opened up and I LOVED making connections to math in our every day classroom living. Years have passed and I still love teaching math and immersing my class in mathematical thinking throughout the day.

    I vowed long ago to make math relevant for my students...a concept that was, sadly, lost on me when I was a child.

    Firstgradebloomabilities

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, I bet you would agree that it's an exciting time to be a math teacher. Our kids need us to make math relevant, like you said so well.

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete