Sunday, May 10, 2015

Trust In Your Seed

I pledge allegiance to the flag
of the United States of America
and to the republic for which it stands
one nation
under God
indivisible
with liberty and justice for all.
I am full of greatness.

These are the words my class recites every morning. I introduced the additional last line a few weeks into the year, and my kids say it each time without fail. 

I wish I could sneak into their second grade classrooms on the first day of school next year to see if any of them automatically add that line out of sheer habit. 

I wish twenty years from now while saying the pledge at a special event, they find themselves reminiscing about first grade and Miss McMorrow's greatness mantra. 

I wish I could know how this deposit I've left in their lives will manifest itself well beyond first grade.


My cousin Laurie is good at reminding me to trust in my seed.  



Pin It!

12 comments:

  1. What a beautiful mantra. I must steal this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kimberley, I'm honored you would think so.

      Delete
  2. I LOVE the last line, Tammy!
    We sing our anthem every Monday morning ... maybe I'll add that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb, I love that they automatically say it every time. It's part of who they are.

      Delete
  3. Yes! Believe in your seed. I just know that some of them will think those words (and even say those words) for the rest of their lives when they hear or say the pledge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laur, thank you for reminding me to believe.

      Delete
  4. First of all, thank you for being a teacher who has her class recite the pledge! Secondly, I love the culture you work so hard to build into your classroom and into your students' hearts. You are indeed planting seeds into these children. :)
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, our whole school does the pledge, although I'd do it even if it wasn't school-wide. :)

      Delete
  5. I love this! And I think I'm going to need this reminder next year--if you know what I mean. I've got one of those "talked about" classes headed my way. My goal is to make connections with them and see their greatness so when trouble does come, I will be better able to handle it. And they will know I truly care about them--and their greatness!

    Crystal
    Teaching Little Miracles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal, I had that class last year, so I understand. I was looking for their greatness, and it wasn't always easy. Good luck to you!

      Delete
  6. I do too Crystal! :) Tammy I just love this and will also be stealing it! And I bet it sticks with them for years to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss Trayers, I do hope it does stick with them.

      Delete