Saturday, May 30, 2015

Saturday Sayings: It's Not Enough



I'm in love with the fact that Calkins said this. In fact, I wish I had said it. I've actually made many mental attempts over the years when listening in on conversations about classroom writing.  Even though Calkins' words sound so simple, I've just never known how to say it so smartly.

There are so many varied examples of what writing looks like in the classroom, and some are not going to enable our writers to achieve their potential, let alone meet the writing standards of the Common Core. I believe Calkins' quote hits on one of the biggest misconceptions out there. 

Writing instruction is intentional. 

Writing instruction is purposeful. 

Writing instruction is strategic. 

Moving each writer from their point A to their point B does not happen by accident. It happens because a teacher instructs, models, confers, celebrates, and nudges...every day.

It's not enough for kids just to write.


Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. When I first started teaching...25 years ago...there were lots of teachers who felt that kids would magically learn how to read just by being immersed in books. It was ridiculous. I totally agree that all instruction needs to be intentional, purposeful and strategic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb, it seems obvious huh? I find that when it comes to writing, it's not obvious to some. Maybe uncertainty and fear play a part in that.

      Delete
  2. So true, Tammy. Writing instruction is so important!

    Crystal
    Teaching Little Miracles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal, I hope CCSS is helping teachers come to this realization. :)

      Delete
  3. So very well said, Tammy! When are you going to start giving PD on this subject to all our schools?? :)
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, Ha - thanks for thinking I have something important people need to hear. :)

      Delete