Stand Up, Sit Down is basically a quick mathematical brain break. It sounds so simple that it almost seems impossible that my students love it so much. Tis true though.
- The teacher picks a number.
- The teacher then states other numbers one at a time.
- If the numbers are above the original number, the students stand.
- If the numbers are below that number, the students sit.
T: 9 is my number.
It's that simple.
But wait, there are variations.
- Choose a smaller or larger first number.
- State the numbers in the form of an equation. (ie. 4+4, 8-1)
- Play the game with multiplication, division, fractions...
Give this one a try. Maybe your students will end up cheering too.
Thanks Dan and Christina!