Saturday, October 1, 2016

Saturday Sayings: Find Your People



There's a lot of talk about tribe these days. Last year I relied on mine. I was in a place of frustration and doubt, that in my eyes, overshadowed my 21 years of experience. 

When I couldn't see the forest for the trees, my tribe offered perspective. 

When I needed to vent, they listened. 

When I needed to cry, they let me and hugged on me as well.

But they never left me as is. 

They couldn't alter my situation or manipulate my circumstances, but they repeatedly spoke truth into my life, that at the time was nearly impossible to recognize on my own.

I remember a particular poignant and inspiring moment about halfway through the school year when my cousin Laurie offered me a completely different perspective to consider. It didn't change my circumstances, but it began a gradual work of healing in my heart and mind. Following this conversation, maybe within a month's time, I woke one morning after another frustrating classroom situation to a revelation of my own. It felt like a breath of fresh air. Again, my situation didn't change, but my burden felt lighter. Without a tribe that was offering me a different outlook, I doubt I would have been in the right place to receive my own revelation in a time when I needed it the most.

I told a group of new teachers at an orientation meeting this Fall to find their tribe. The same advice could be offered to teachers with countless years of experience. We must all find our people. Who are yours? 

P.S. I now have a Facebook page. Click on the link to say hi. :)






SaveSave
Pin It!

12 comments:

  1. That was one of my favorite chapters of their book. (I'm going to see Todd this month at an EdCamp-don't be too jealous. :) )I found my tribe online. It is amazing how sharing this experience with others who share your same passion for teaching can make things better in this profession.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss Trayers, Oh man. That's going to be a great EdCamp! You'll have to blog about it.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for this. I have a wonderful tribe around me daily. But I also have a tribe that I have found online...it happened over time. But connections were formed and I am truly grateful. These people push me, support me, and accept me. And we all need that in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Em, those are three very important qualities in a tribe. Thank you for wording it that way!

      Delete
  3. You have definitely had some trying times (years) and finding your tribe makes a huge difference. Thanks for being a part of mine. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, likewise my friend. You've been in my corner 100%.

      Delete
  4. Tammy - I am so glad you are part of my tribe! My PLN has done exactly what you describe in your post. I get inspiration that motivates, challenges, and encourages me daily!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet, thank you for dropping by and leaving a message, and thank you for supporting me and so many other teachers.

      Delete
  5. I meant to reply earlier. It's such a blessing to be part of your tribe and to have you in mine. Your words have rescued me so many times--your faith in me and in all that God has equipped and allowed me to do--those are invaluable gifts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laur, thank you for the many times you bring me a Word of the Laur. I know that you're really giving me God's perspective though.

      Delete
  6. Wisdom. Finding one's tribe encompasses both knowing oneself (in order to know & recognize one's people), as well as the desire and willingness to search out one's tribe. Also, incredibly awesome knowing that we each have many tribes we belong to! So glad I'm in yours via #IdahoCore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. April, thank you for reading and commenting. I appreciate your wise words and support. I'm thoroughly enjoying getting to know this new Idaho Core tribe of mine.

      Delete