Saturday, August 8, 2015

Saturday Sayings: Math Immersion



Reading Recovery training taught me to be mindful of the print-rich environment I surround my students with. They need to see, hear, and experience words at every turn. Cambourne calls it immersion, and that's exactly what I hope my young literacy club members experience in my room. I've never thought about immersing my students in numeracy though. I'm not even completely sure what that looks like, but I'm interested in finding out.

If the same principles for literacy apply to numeracy, then these are some of my guiding questions. 

Are students surrounded by math?
Do they constantly hear the language of math?
Do they see math in the room and on the walls?
Is math something that is addressed throughout the day or is it isolated to a specified time?

Honestly, I'm left with more questions than answers. How will these questions transform the look, feel, and language of my room this year? If I'm mindful, they'll help me navigate my way into a classroom where math is not separate from but is an authentic and natural part of the world of my classroom and of my students. 


Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. The thing that drives me crazy is that it's easy to get extra reading/writing support for a student, but not so much for math. It doesn't seem to be considered as important...at least in the early grades!?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb, math is moving up in the ranks fortunately. Maybe that's partially because some of us are figuring out how to teach it now. :)

      Delete
  2. This is such a great quote! And unfortunately its true too. Math is so important and needs this same attention as reading.
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, I'm glad that we're figuring this out, slowly but surely. :)

      Delete
  3. Hmmm....this is a great question. Since we are departmentalized, the math room is FILLED with math. But in a self contained room...I don't know how I would make it look. I love the topic and challenge of this idea though!!
    By the way...my Ruby's first grade teacher is named Tammy this year. Hoping that is a good sign :)
    em

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Em, I'm looking forward to keeping my eyes open for ways to up the ante for my mathematicians this year. Yes! Tammys make great teachers. :)

      Delete