Saturday, June 14, 2014

Saturday Sayings: Camouflaged



When I decided to use this quote for today's post, I immediately had what I thought was a grand idea. "I should make a list of school-type tasks that Smith might be referring to."  This was immediately followed with, "Hmm, not sure I want to do that.  What if some idea or activity from my room lands on the list?"  My response was all the confirmation I needed.  The list must happen.  The odds are drastically high that there are school-type tasks in my own practice that seem useful and enjoyable but in the end are really just chores that lack meaning and application to the real world.  

The unfortunate thing is that my list will be missing all of your input.  I'm predicting that not everyone will like my list, and likely as not, I might not like everyone else's.  If only we could all meet and share.  I can just imagine the dialogue we could have as we question certain practices and advocate for others.  It sounds like a challenging, but I believe, profitable professional development opportunity, much more beneficial than my isolated ideas.  So as you read the remainder of this post, keep in mind that I'm not expecting complete agreement.  This is just an opportunity to reflect on classroom practice and take instruction to the real-world level as much as possible.

DOL (Daily Oral Language)
worksheets
workbooks
isolated grammar exercises
weekly spelling tests
copying from the board
writing only to topics
behavior charts
round robin reading
homework packets
an abundance of craftivities
isolated phonics activities or games
book reports
AR (that one might hurt)

I suppose that's a good enough place to stop.  What I don't want to do is stop analyzing my practice.  I know all too well how school-type tasks can camouflage themselves as useful and enjoyable.  As a reflective teacher, it's my duty to look honestly and critically at what takes place day in and day out in that classroom of mine, even if it hurts a little.

P.S.  Feel free to question or advocate when you comment. :)



Pin It!

16 comments:

  1. This is scary. I have been going through the same process (for years, really, bu particularly this last year). I do know how to keep students busy--even engaged--but the question is, what do I really want them to be able to do, as a result of being in my class? What skills should we be developing? How am I creating independence by gradually removing support? At the risk of getting some people all riled up, I will say that the CCSS have helped moved me further down this reflective road.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laur, it is scary. There are some things that I need to let go. The question is, what do I instead? What replaces them? I have lots of questions.

      Delete
  2. What does DOL mean? I am hoping it means that the tasks on your list are quite unconnected to anything they will have to do in the real world. Sometimes I think about how my kids think we learned to make Yoo-Hoo Boats when really we connected to The Small Adventures of Popeye and Elvis. I worried about what they appeared to get out of it until I realized that reading helps us connect to other things. This is a real world connection for sure. Thanks for giving me some reflection time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kimberley, thanks for asking. It's Daily Oral Language. (I added the meaning above.) Making sure our classrooms are full of real world tasks instead of school-type tasks is one that does take reflection.

      Delete
  3. Could you imagine if we could all get together and have a discussion?! That would be so cool! :) I do agree with your list. And it kills me every year when we are told we have to incorporate these things-like spelling tests. We don't even have grades in Kinder but are required to do this-I think now it's just tradition. No one questions why. I know it doesn't work because they misspell the same words they spelled correctly on the test the next day in their writing. Sigh. If only we ran the world! :)

    But I really do try to make things as authentic as possible-I think that's really important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss Trayers, I think you're right about traditions. Donalynn Miller quotes it as "unexamined wallpaper." Sometimes we tend to do things because that's what we've always done, and we forget to ask the hard question - why? I say let's rule the world!

      Delete
  4. As my own children get older, they prove to me what matters and what doesn't. They know what activities are just busy work. My youngest just finished a tortuous year of book reports. I know he read, understood, and evaluated the each book- because we talked about them. But the book report process was horrible. He would not write the thoughts and ideas that he had, because he was following the formula. I am thankful for teachers like you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suburban Pies, first off, I'm sorry your son's year of reading was tainted with busy work/school-type tasks. I hope it didn't do too much damage. Secondly, thank you for such a gracious compliment. That means a lot to me.

      Delete
  5. I stopped by to say that I wish we could sit down and have coffee together once a week! Then, I read your post and thought "We all want to gather together!".

    I'm always fascinated by kindergartners' need to do things "right". Writing a word phonetically is a risk for many of them. We talk about being detectives, using clues, etc. One of those clues is using the Word Wall (which can also become wall paper if not used in meaningful ways) in our writing. I teach in a district that has progressive ideas- going paperless is one of them- but am surrounded by people who are doing things in a very old school way. I'll admit, I have a weakness for spiral review pages! But I have found that balance and meaning take learning to a new level.

    Thanks for making me think, Tammy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chrissy, yes, let's meet up, invite some of our blogging friends, and have some heart-to-heart educational discussions! Wouldn't that be fun? It's not always easy to be the one who's surrounded by old school ways. I'm sure you're doing great things in spite of it!

      Delete
  6. Hi Tammy. Just got back from CO and had to pop over to catch up on Saturday Sayings...and boy, is this one thought provoking. You are absolutely right, some things on the list sting a bit. It is definitely worth some thought as I begin my fifth year... I want to continue to grow and change as a teacher and that only happens when I honestly reflect on my practices. Thank you for continually prodding me to do just that!

    Crystal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal, no doubt you'll look back in 15 years and see how far you've come, as well as your students. I know I do. Thank you for consistently dropping by!

      Delete
  7. You have a good list going there, Tammy. In my teaching career I have been guilty of doing some of those very things listed. Time is always limited, but being able to get together with other teachers and administrators and reflect on activities and their worth would be a a great use of our time!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, I'm guilty too. We're in good company.

      Delete
  8. I think the longer you teach, the more you begin to question things. Experience is a great teacher if you continue to learn and grow. Sometimes it is easier to keep doing the same old things in the same old way. I choose to learn and grow professionally so I can be the best teacher I can be. Isn't this what we expect from our students?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Connie, you are so very right on all accounts. We have a responsibility to continually question and grow. What a journey this is.

      Delete