Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Unexpected Inspiration

I have to be honest.  I'm not sure why some young poets are asked to write poetry that rhymes.  If I had it in my brain that poetry must work that way or really any way at all, I'd write some pretty stinky stuff.  Trapped by the limitations of rhyming words, my creativity would for sure suffer, and I know the whole process would frustrate me.  (My cousin Kent can make most anything rhyme it seems, but I think he's the exception to the rule.)  For the average young poet, rules and limitations do not inspire them, and if they're not inspired, neither am I.  I love teaching poetry because of the unexpected inspiration I find in their work.  We just started our poetry unit last week and even though they still have some work to do, they're catching on.  I'm already finding little nuggets here and there.  


A Butterfly
A butterfly
I am
beautiful
my 
wings
shimmer
they
sparkle
through the
air
(I love the word choice.)

Lady
Run fast
wild
lay down
chew on bones
chase balls
bad dog
just a puppy
(What a great last line.  This comes from the writer who drew scribbles the first several weeks of writing workshop.)

Snowflakes
I
fall
down
in the 
winter
I love
the cold
so
make me
fall down
in the winter
whee! whee!
(I love how the snowflake is doing the talking.)

Llama
I am
a mountain
moving
across
the ground
boom!
boom!
boom!
(Such imagery!)

Water
Water
water
like
the
ocean
and
the sea
and
the ponds
and the
pools
splash!
(This one has great rhythm and a clever ending.)

Easter
Easter Easter
it is coming
soon it will be here
happy happy
(I love the use of repetition.)

Zanlen
Cute
freckles
handsome
sit with
me!
(Seriously?  You're 7, but it is adorable.)

Marshmallow
Marshmallow
like pillows
soft and
white
fluffy!
(I like the imagery and rhythm.)

A Cat
A cat
purring like a 
kitten
soft and
furry sitting
on your lap
(This was her first poem and the one that helped everyone else get the idea too.)

My Nike Socks
Put me on
put me on
please
I have
nothing
to look at
run
run
with me
(Being the Nike fan I am, this one is a thing of beauty.)


I'm so glad they don't think that poems must rhyme!


Pin It!

12 comments:

  1. Yay! You posted some of your students' poetry! I enjoy their writing so much. You manage to inspire your young writers to produce some great stuff!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, I'm glad you enjoy what they write. I do too.

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness...I am impressed!!! Please tell them that Ms. Wilson from Austin, Texas thinks they are amazing poets!!!!

    Wallis
    Ms. Wilson’s Wolves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms. Wilson, I told them this morning. Their faces were beaming.

      Delete
  3. Oh you should publish them....their own anthology!
    Laurie
    Chickadee Jubilee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurie, we make a class anthology at the end of the unit and each child gets their own copy. :)

      Delete
  4. Those are awesome! You should send that Nike one to the Nike company! What do you use to teach your poetry unit?
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, good idea on the Nike poem. :) I use Lucy Calkins' Unit of Study and a bit of Regie Routman's 1st grade poetry book. Both are wonderful.

      Delete
  5. These are wonderful! I am afraid that I was under the impression that poems had to rhyme from a very young age. It really held me back from enjoying poetry until I was much older.

    Tara
    The Math Maniac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tara, I never enjoyed poetry in school either. I'm hoping my kids will never have to struggle with it like I did.

      Delete
  6. Those are seriously fabulous, Tammy!
    I'm with you. Forget the rhymes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb, thank you and thank you for encouraging me to share.

      Delete