Saturday, June 8, 2013

Saturday Sayings: Safety Net



This quote comes from Catching Readers Before They Fall by Pat Johnson and Katie Keier.  It kind of makes sense that the authors would be referencing safety nets with a title like that.  What kinds of safety nets are typically available for our early readers?  There's possibly Reading Recovery, Title 1, and intervention groups, to name a few.  You could probably add to the list.  Aren't we glad these safety nets are in place?  Our little struggling readers are surrounded with support.  The authors of this book though, would argue that there's one safety net that needs to be stronger than any of the others.  It's not to say the others aren't important, because of course they are, but the teacher needs to be the strongest support system these little readers will come in contact with.  Quality literacy instruction from the classroom teacher will spread a pretty strong safety net.  

When I think of the net I spread this year, I'm saddened about the few who found a way to slip through the holes, yet so very thankful for the other nets in the system that will help support these little ones.  Regardless of those supports though, I'm continually challenged to find ways to improve the quality of my classroom instruction and the strength of my own net.  My favorite little people are counting on it to be strong.

Pin It!

12 comments:

  1. Tammy, I have noticed over the years that if the classroom teacher has a strong teaching system and if I have a strong teaching system we can move those struggling readers along, some at a better pace than others. But if either one of us slacks off, the improvements seen in the child are so decreased. Your quote is very affirming at just how important classroom teachers are!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, your classroom teachers are extremely fortunate that you are supporting their kids as well. You know what quality instruction looks like.

      Delete
  2. I couldn't agree with you more, Tammy! The classroom teacher is most important to her struggling students. You must have a toolbox filled with strategies for helping these students. You can't just hope for the best. Professional reading, grad classes, and workshops have helped me strengthen my safety net. Like you, I continue to grow as a teacher, so I am always trying to close up the "holes" in my net.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Connie, I don't think I'll ever reach the moment when my net is strong enough. I bet you feel the same way. It's a continual process, huh?

      Delete
  3. I love this! I think it's even better when the classroom nets join together by having a great team across grade levels and vertically. Then we can really save all children.

    Kimberley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kimberley, strong literacy instruction all around - that's exactly right!

      Delete
  4. Tammy, I so agree with the quote and with you! It is all about the teacher! We have to do our best to help every child.
    Sandi atLiteracy Minute

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandi, I love getting an "amen" from you. I know I'm on the right track when I do.

      Delete
  5. My first teaching job was a 3rd grade class and I started at semester. At the end of the year, I realized one of my girls basically Could Not Read. Yikes, how did I miss that? Now I work hard not to let those little buggers fool me.
    Thanks for the reminder.
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sara, I totally get that. They can so easily slip through the cracks. No more fooling, right? :)

      Delete
  6. I agree, too. But I also think the parents need to provide an equally strong net and sadly that doesn't always happen:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb, you are very right. Unfortunately, that net is sometimes missing.

      Delete