Saturday, December 8, 2012

Saturday Sayings: The 3 R's of Teaching



Simply put, reading + risking + reflecting = meaningful change.  I suppose we could call them the 3 R's of teaching.  Is this equation evident in our schools or better yet, in our own classrooms?

Reading - I don't believe Regie's referring to reading a teacher's manual.  (That's most likely not the kind of reading that results in meaningful change.)  She's fully aware of how busy we teachers are, but she also knows that books provide a valuable kind of professional development that should find its way into our lives.  The professional books on my shelves and the piles still needing my attention on my living room floor are significant contributors to my teaching pedagogy.  They've helped shape me into the teacher I am today and the one I'll be ten years from now as well.

Risking - This piece of the equation is so important.  On a personal level, I'm not a risk-taker.  I don't enjoy putting myself into the unknown.  As a teacher though, I've learned that playing it safe is detrimental to my professional development as well as the growth of the learners in my care.  When I take risks, I give myself permission to not have all the answers before I try something new.  If I wait for all the answers, I'll waste a lot of time and probably never try anyway.  The only way to find them is to jump right in and do.  When I take risks, I also typically discover that my kids can handle a whole lot more than I ever gave them credit for.  They benefit from my risk-taking.

Reflecting - I'm guessing this is the part of the equation that most teachers are comfortable doing already.  I believe that it's made all the more powerful when reading and risking are involved as well though.  

Meaningful Change - We've probably all experienced unmeaningful change.  (Yep, I made up that word.)  How often have you found yourself asking, "Now, why are we doing this?"  Maybe the CCSS fits in that category for some.  Maybe a district or state mandate has created change that was not meaningful.  Those things are at times out of our hands.  For me, most often meaningful change happens when I take professional development into my own hands.  I'm not satisfied with the teacher I am today, but I'm the only one who can change that.  I read.  I risk.  I reflect.  If Regie's right, and I think she is, that means I'm bound to change in meaningful ways.  

Pin It!

16 comments:

  1. Well said! I love your Saturday Sayings. When I stop taking risks it's time for me to stop teaching!!
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny, thank you for liking my Saturday soap box Sayings! I agree with you totally. No more risks = no more teaching.

      Delete
  2. So True! I believe Regie is right! I can't imagine being a teacher that doesn't take Professional development into their own hands. There is just so much to learn!!! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather, thank you for sharing your thoughts too. I like what you add.

      Delete
  3. You and Regie know what you are talking about! Taking risks and growing in our professional thinking make us better educators!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, if I know what I'm talking about it's all because of people like Regie. I'm not all that smart, but I can count on the pros to fill in the gaps.

      Delete
  4. Tammy,
    Spot ON today! SPOT ON! Sometimes standing alone, being the only risk-taker gets a bit exhausting, but I am realizing through blogging and meeting teachers like you, that I am truly not alone. That there ARE teachers like me who are extremely passionate about teaching and pursuing meaningful professional development to keep making ourselves better as teachers and individuals.
    Thank you for that!
    Julie
    Ms. Marciniak's First Grade Critter Cafe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS~ When you have time, stop by and read my December Currently. I think you will like it! :)

      Delete
    2. Julie, you're definitely not alone. I'm glad that we're in this together. Thank you for leaving your thoughts here on my blog. I enjoy hearing from you. I so love your December Currently post too. I just got caught up on my blog reading, and I'm so glad I did. Thank you for sharing my music on your blog!

      Delete
  5. During my 27 years as a teacher, I have always taken the initiative to learn and grow professionally. I am ALWAYS looking for inspiration to be a better teacher today than I was yesterday.
    From reading your posts, I can tell that you are the same way. I really enjoy reading your posts and consider you a true inspiration! Thank you!!
    Connie Anderson:)
    www.welcometofirstgraderoom5.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Connie, I'm thankful that our paths have crossed. I can tell from your blog and your comments here that you are the kind of teacher who reads, risks, and reflects. Thank you for for being that kind of teacher!

      Delete
  6. Those truly are the three R's for teachers! I love these Saturday Sayings because it gives us an opportunity to connect with like-minded teachers! Thanks Tammy for faithfully posting and encouraging us to think!
    LiteracyMinute

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandi, thank you for encouraging me. I'm thankful that you feel that way about these posts, and I'm thankful for like-minded teachers like yourself.

      Delete
  7. I love how real Regie is. She knows what's important in the classroom and what isn't and isn't afraid EVER to say so!
    Thanks for sharing again.

    ❀Barbara❀
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, you're very right. Regie isn't ever afraid to say what she thinks, and I'm so glad because she's influenced my teaching in so many ways. Thank you for coming by today. I always enjoy your company.

      Delete
  8. Yep, yep. I'm reading The Book Whisperer right now, spied it quoted in one of your Saturday Sayings. The other day during staff meeting, I spotted it on the shelf in the library...couldn't wait to grab it! Thanks for Saturday Sayings. I truly appreciate them.

    Crystal

    Teaching Little Miracles

    ReplyDelete